explorer.exe vs. iexporer.exe

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Elemental

Elemental

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:08 PM

I see that they both run at the same time and know that iexplorer.exe is internet explorer, but what in the world is explorer.exe and why is taking up so much memory (even when all programs are cosed)??

Edited by Elemental, 14 April 2009 - 05:11 PM.

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,531 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:29 PM

When you think of the metaphor that MS uses to describe Windows -- Most of your commonly used programs are linked on the Desktop and programs that you open will open on the Desktop -- Explorer is the Desk... It is the foundation of Windows... If you shut it down, like some programs will do to kill malware, you will need to reboot or restart it to use most functions in Windows... Internet Explorer is also integrated into the operating system, but not as much as Explorer...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 Elemental

Elemental

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:44 PM

When you think of the metaphor that MS uses to describe Windows -- Most of your commonly used programs are linked on the Desktop and programs that you open will open on the Desktop -- Explorer is the Desk... It is the foundation of Windows... If you shut it down, like some programs will do to kill malware, you will need to reboot or restart it to use most functions in Windows... Internet Explorer is also integrated into the operating system, but not as much as Explorer...

OK. Forgive me if there is a simple answer to this, but if the desk is clear why is so much energy being spent watching it, ie all the memory it's using.

#4 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,815 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:11 PM

why is so much energy being spent watching it, ie all the memory it's using.

There shouldn't be..

How old is this computer??

Please register (it's free, don't worry) with PCPitStop and run the full tests here. When the tests are complete, a results page will pop up. Copy and paste the URL of the Results screen and post it here for me.

-screen317

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#5 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,531 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:06 PM

How much memory are you talking about?? It is loaded into RAM to keep Windows in place, so some RAM will always be used... If it is draining resources, it could mean an infection...
Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#6 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:59 PM

How much memory is it using? Normal is around 58 MB for Windows XP..
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#7 Alex4108

Alex4108

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:52 PM

notice in the topic its "iexporer.exe" do you see an L in there? Ehh something tells me that it was a typo or something is fishy :closedeyes:

#8 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,531 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:06 PM

notice in the topic its "iexporer.exe" do you see an L in there? Ehh something tells me that it was a typo or something is fishy :closedeyes:

If you look at the first post, you will see that it is correctly spelled, so it is a likely typo... Also, I suspect this issue is long resolved since the last post was almost a year ago...
Budfred

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button