• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 Glenski

Glenski

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:56 PM

I just bought a Lenovo S10e ideapad so I could bring it to my classrooms and run Powerpoint shows from there. I plan to make the Powerpoint on a different computer and use the Lenovo just for showing, so I thought all I needed was the free download of Powerpoint Reader. Since my other computer has an older version of Powerpoint, but students sometimes have a newer version, the PP Reader would let me play their stuff in class, too.

The download seemed to go without a hitch, but after installing it, I cannot get it to open. I tried clicking on the PP icon as well as on a PP file. Nothing.

I would also like to use this computer on my home wireless system, but I don't know how to set it up. It was built for wireless, but it asks me for a password whenever I try to connect. I don't know the password.

Using Japanese OS with Windows XP.

Edited by Glenski, 01 May 2009 - 12:09 AM.

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,559 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:46 AM

I don't know what problem you are having with PP Viewer... I have used it on several computers with no problems... Did you get a Japanese language version?? If not, that may be the problem... It may also be that you need to use an older version of PP Viewer -- details about that would be in the MS Knowledge Base...

For the password -- if you didn't set one and there isn't one in the manual, it probably just means that you click through... However, I would set one up promptly for security... If that is not the problem, either look for the answer on the site of PC manufacturer or post details about the computer so we can help you find it... Please also provide details about what you have already attempted so that we don't need to type out instructions for things you have already done...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 Glenski

Glenski

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:16 AM

I have PP Reader on another computer. Works perfectly. Will have to compare to see if it's a different version on the Lenovo.

As for password and manual, the manual is in Japanese and even my Japanese wife can't figure it out. How does one set a password?

As for "post details about the computer", what exactly do you need to know that I haven't already described?

As for what I have already done, it's a huge list. I don't know where to start.

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,559 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:59 AM

I have PP Reader on another computer. Works perfectly. Will have to compare to see if it's a different version on the Lenovo.

Does that other computer also use a Japanese OS?? My thought is that the English version may simply not be able to read the instructions in a Japanese OS or the other way around... As I said, I am not sure what other problems you might have other than using the newest version of the Viewer with an old PP presentation... To check that out, I would either try an older version of the Viewer or I would open the presentation in a new version of Office and save it as a new version, then try the Viewer... Typically, once the Viewer is installed, it really doesn't require any hassle to use it...

As for password and manual, the manual is in Japanese and even my Japanese wife can't figure it out. How does one set a password?

That depends on the instructions for the wireless router... Typically they come with a generic password that is in the manual... It is NOT a good idea to leave it as that since then anyone can hack into your system... However, if you didn't change it, the one in the manual would be the one to use... If you can't find it in the manual for the router, then contact the router company...

As for "post details about the computer", what exactly do you need to know that I haven't already described?

One helpful detail would be the brand/model of router that you are trying to connect to... Specifics of what version of Office your presentation is saved in and what version of Powerpoint Viewer would be helpful...

As for what I have already done, it's a huge list. I don't know where to start.

Simply telling me if you have done any of the things I have already suggested would be helpful and then some outline of what you have done would be useful as well... Did you set up the router yourself?? Is the wireless connection working with other computers?? Is the wireless even turned on??
Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#5 Glenski

Glenski

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:53 PM

Does that other computer also use a Japanese OS??

All my computers do. I live in Japan and have bought them here.

My thought is that the English version may simply not be able to read the instructions in a Japanese OS or the other way around... As I said, I am not sure what other problems you might have other than using the newest version of the Viewer with an old PP presentation...

The version of PP Viewer is the same (2007) on both computers. It works just fine on my other computer with old and new PP presentations. I am using PP Viewer so that I don't have to spend money on the new version of PP. My old computer has the 2003 version.

The Lenovo has no PP at all, just the PP Viewer. I was under the impression that this was all that was needed to see the presentations from my students who have the newer version of PP.

To check that out, I would either try an older version of the Viewer

I don't see that as necessary since it works on my older computer.

or I would open the presentation in a new version of Office and save it as a new version, then try the Viewer...

I don't have a new version of Office, just the 2003 version (on the old computer; on the Lenovo I have no Microsoft Office at all).

That depends on the instructions for the wireless router... Typically they come with a generic password that is in the manual..

From what I can glean from the (Japanese) instructions, there is no password. There is no manual, only a set of instructions with a disk. Do you think I need to set up the new computer with the disk, too?

As for contacting the router company, that is difficult. My wife speaks the language but is fairly computer illiterate and very reticent to call for advice.

One helpful detail would be the brand/model of router that you are trying to connect to... Specifics of what version of Office your presentation is saved in and what version of Powerpoint Viewer would be helpful...

Buffalo Air Station G54.
The presentations I've tried are saved from PP 2003. The viewer is 2007.

#6 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,559 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:38 AM

According to MS, PP Viewer 2007 should work with presentations from Office 2003, so I don't know why they are not for you... Did you install the English version or the Japanese?? Either way, I would probably uninstall it and then reinstall the Japanese version to see if that makes a difference...

For the router, I have the manual for my router on the install disk, so I am guessing yours is there as well... This is the Knowledge Base for it in English and I am guessing the material is the same in Japanese...

http://www.buffalote...p?category_id=4

Here are the instructions for resetting the password:

http://www.buffalote...u..._id=4&sid2=

However, you will need to know the default password, here is the default for the Mac and I am guessing it is the same for PC:

You will be prompted to enter a User ID and Password
User ID: root
Password: leave blank ( no password)

You may be able to find the specific information for your router since you have more details to search with... Again, be sure to change these to protect your computers when you reset it...

The disk is for setting up the router, so it won't help to run it on the new computer -- if it has already been working, it is already set up... If you reset it, it may need to be reconfigured, but you usually don't need the disk for that...

Again, is the wireless turned on?? Do you use it for the other computer?? It may not be turned on by default, so if you have a cable connection to the old computer, it may not even be turned on... If it isn't, that would be the first step... Since you indicate you are being asked for a password, I am guessing that it is on and you just need to set up the password...
Budfred

#7 Glenski

Glenski

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:40 AM

It's still a holiday weekend here, so I have not gone back to my office to pick up the Lenovo. Will try tomorrow.

The PP Viewer that I installed is the English version. Didn't know there was a Japanese one.

Yes, of course my wireless is on. The router works at home for my home computer and the older office computer that I'm typing on right now. The work (university) wireless system works just fine for the older work computer as well as the Lenovo.

One more detail that slipped my mind...when I first wanted to set up the Lenovo for wireless at my home, I typed in the SSID for the Buffalo system. Was this a mistake, and if so, do I just delete it?

The Lenovo seems to recognize that there are multiple wireless systems transmitting to my home, including the Buffalo router I own and use. The trick is how to get it to do more than just recognize these -- how can I do that? That is, what steps should I follow? (Please remember that all my menus are in Japanese, so if there are commands or buttons to use that also have letters in parentheses next to them, let me know those as well.)

Edited by Glenski, 03 May 2009 - 08:42 AM.

#8 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,559 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:14 AM

I don't see how entering the SSID would cause a problem and, if you reset the router, it will likely need to be entered again...

I can't tell you what your screen will look like or what the different buttons are for... I suggest you get a friend who is fluent in Japanese and comfortable with computers to sit down with you and go over it when you have the Lenovo in front of you... Typically, there is a window you can bring up that will list the options -- apparently you have seen that... You select the one you want and highlight it, then choose something like "configure" or "connect", but it will vary... If you were asked for a password, you apparently make it to where you needed to be, so it would be a matter of entering the password... Usually once you do that the first time, it will not need to be done again unless the Lenovo or the router is reset... Even if you use the Lenovo on another wireless system, it will usually select the one that you selected previously when that is the one available...

For the PP Viewer -- if you look on the download page, the option to download has a drop-down menu that is English by default (at least if you get there from an English search), but includes Japanese as an option...
Budfred

#9 Glenski

Glenski

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:36 PM

Sigh. I figured there wouldn't be much you could do without seeing the screens themselves. Not too many Japanese friends who feel comfortable with computers, but I'll see what I can do.

What did you mean by "reset the router"? It's on all the time.

PP Viewer,
I am frustrated because it works on another computer that has a Japanese OS. I don't want PP Viewer in Japanese if I can help it, so why doesn't it work on my Lenovo? Does it matter if the Lenovo doesn't have Microsoft Office but the other computer does? If so, what should I do?

#10 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,559 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:03 PM

What did you mean by "reset the router"? It's on all the time.

Did you read the link I posted earlier??

http://www.buffalote...u..._id=4&sid2=

PP Viewer,
I am frustrated because it works on another computer that has a Japanese OS. I don't want PP Viewer in Japanese if I can help it, so why doesn't it work on my Lenovo? Does it matter if the Lenovo doesn't have Microsoft Office but the other computer does? If so, what should I do?

Like I keep saying, I really don't know why PP Viewer will not work and I suggested trying the Japanese version to see if it would... You could simply uninstall and then reinstall the English version if you would like to see if that makes a difference...

Another option would be to check your copy of Office to see if it allows installing on more than one computer -- some do... It shouldn't make a difference in PP Viewer working, but it would give you a way to run presentations if you install even just the Powerpoint part of Office...

If you can't do that and still can't get it to work, you might try a Windows forum to see if someone has more ideas...
Budfred

#11 Glenski

Glenski

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:12 AM

I read the link, but my computer is not at home right now. I will get to it tomorrow or the next day and do what the link suggests.

As for PP Viewer, my disks with Office are also in the office, so I will have to check those in a day or two, also. And, I really don't want to install a Japanese version. It just seems weird that the English version works on one Japanese OS, but why not another (Lenovo)?

Will keep you updated.

#12 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,559 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:32 AM

I read the link, but my computer is not at home right now. I will get to it tomorrow or the next day and do what the link suggests.

That link is about the router, not the computer... You will probably need to reset the router to default condition, set up a new password and then set up your old computer and the Lenovo with that password to use the wireless... You don't need the Lenovo to do the first steps, you only need it to enter the new password and start using the wireless connection...
Budfred

#13 Glenski

Glenski

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:25 AM

I finally convinced my wife to help read the Japanese instructions (just a fold-out sheet, not a book) for the router.

It says there is no password for the router. It also says that if you want to set up a second computer, you have to use the CDROM and repeat steps blah, blah, blah. Problem is, my Lenovo does not have a CD ROM drive.

#14 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,559 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:58 AM

I finally convinced my wife to help read the Japanese instructions (just a fold-out sheet, not a book) for the router.

It says there is no password for the router. It also says that if you want to set up a second computer, you have to use the CDROM and repeat steps blah, blah, blah. Problem is, my Lenovo does not have a CD ROM drive.

The page I directed you to shows you what the password is and how to change it... You can read the complete manual in English on that website as well... I suspect she is reading something incorrectly since there is NO reason that a router would require setting up software on more than one computer... The computer that is primarily connected to the router is used to program it and put in the password... Once that is done, connecting is a matter of having the correct password and a working wireless receiver in your computer... If it required using the software on every single computer that connected using the router, it would mean that company had decided they wanted no part of the wireless market, especially in things like Internet cafes. I suggest you review the materials in English on the Buffalotech site so that you can get a better idea of how to set it up... If it turns out that it really does require the CD (extremely unlikely), you can use an external drive to run it through a USB port... Of course, that would mean purchasing or borrowing an external drive...
Budfred

#15 Glenski

Glenski

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:20 AM

The page I directed you to shows you what the password is and how to change it.

It says how to RESET it, merely by pressing the INIT button. I did that for the required 15 seconds, and now I no longer have wireless access to my computer. Was this supposed to happen?

You can read the complete manual in English on that website as well.

I will search for it when I get home, IF I can get wireless re-established. (I no longer have a cable for direct Internet access.)

I suspect she is reading something incorrectly since there is NO reason that a router would require setting up software on more than one computer

I hope she is wrong. I really have no one else around to assist, and I think you can imagine how frustrating it is to deal with this situation.

What's more, that computer (as I have reported but unsolved in another thread) will not let me automatically open many CDs. So, we place the disk in the drive, and wait. And, wait. It doesn't start by itself. I will have to go home tonight and see if I can manually start the software myself with her help. She already tried today while I was at work, but when she opened the folder, it had lots of files, and she didn't know which one to use to start the software installation again.

I really hope I don't need to use an external drive to install the software on my Lenovo. I agree with you that I shouldn't have to. I don't have another drive anyway.

Trust me on the password thing, though. It clearly reads "no password" on the instruction sheet. Maybe it just means that Buffalo doesn't have a default one. I'll confirm.

Thanks for the help so far. Will keep you informed.

EDIT:
We just re-installed the Buffalo software. No password was requested. No password field was seen. I now have Internet access restored on my old home computer.

I went to that Buffalo site and did a search for the WLA-G54C/P manual. Looked through the 242 items found -- none matched. Some were close, but none perfectly matched. I also found WLI-CB-G54 on the box, so I did a search and found only one match. English instructions, no requirement for any password.
http://www.buffalote...LICBG54_QSG.pdf

I started the Lenovo, and it detected 3 wireless router connections in the area. The top one had the strongest signal and the SSID matched my old computer SSID (read from the toolbar). The bottom line in that field had some statement about security and an icon that looks like a padlock. One other wireless router had the same thing, and another had the statement but no padlock icon.

I clicked on the top one, and it sought out the connection. Another window opened called "Wireless Network Connection", and it contained a entry field called Network Key. I have no idea what to enter here, so I am unable to make the Lenovo connect to my router. Where do I find this Network Key?

MORE EDIT:
In searching for this Network Key, I ran across this site:
http://www.ehow.com/...etwork-key.html

Everything works fine (I can follow all the steps) until I get to these:

#
Step 8
Clear the check box that reads the key is provided for me automatically and select the check box that reads this is a computer to computer(ad hoc) network.

Step 9
Create your password. Your password must be thirteen digits and should include numbers,letters and symbols for the best security.

I do not have the check boxes they talk about, so I cannot create an "ad hoc" password.

Or what about the advice given on this site by fihart:

You need to log in to your router -- this is usually by typing its IP address into the address bar of your internet browser while the computer is connected to the router via an athernet cable. If successful a login box will appear demanding user name (usually, admin) and password (often, password). Once in the router's user interface turn off wireless security and log out. Then try to connect by wireless only. If successful, set a new wireless security passphrase.

http://www.tomshardw...3-find-security

Edited by Glenski, 08 May 2009 - 08:16 AM.

#16 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,559 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:58 AM

With the additional info you added this time, I found this:

http://www.buffalote...G54C_Manual.pdf

However, this leaves me more confused than before... I thought we were discussing a router... However, the WLA-G54C/P appears to be a repeater bridge which is to be used with an existing wireless to give more power to the signal:

and the WLI-CB-G54 is a cardbus which is to be used to access an existing wireless network...

Do you have a router?? If you only have the cardbus, then yes, you do need to install some software and you have to have access to the wireless network you are trying to use... Is the wireless network something provided by the building you are in or some such arrangement?? If you have only the bridge, the situation is also different than what I thought and suggests that you don't have direct access to the router... Please clarify...

One thing that might help -- what does it look like?? The cardbus is a card that is plugged into a slot on a laptop computer... A router looks more like a box and the bridge would look like a box with a piece missing...

As for losing your connection when you reset the device you have, the reason for that would depend on what device you are talking about... If it is a router, then you would be set back to defaults and you would need to go through the process of setting it up again... If it is a cardbus, reinstalling the software shouldn't be needed, but restarting it probably would be... If it is a bridge, it should be simply a matter of resetting the password that you were using to access the network... If you are not using a password (which sounds like it might be the case), you computers are NOT safe and can be accessed by anyone within wireless range... As you pointed out, there is no password by default -- you need to set one...

As for CDs not opening automatically, you can simply access Windows Explorer and run the CD from there... It usually involves double clicking on the autorun file, but it is sometimes easier to doubleclick on the executable file you want if you can identify it...

If you do need the CD, I suggest putting it in your old computer and copying the entire disk to a flash drive... It is common for CDs to limit the ability to copy them, but this one is less likely to have that protection since the software is available to download... If you can't copy it, you can still download it from the Buffalo site once we figure out what the device you are dealing with is...

From what I could tell, there is no WLA-G54C/P... Are you sure that is a "P"??

The Network Key is essentially another way of talking about a password... It identifies the network and limits access to those who have the key... Again, without knowing how you are connecting and who is in charge of the network, I can't tell you where yours is... If you do have a router, it would be something you set and there would be a default setting in place since you reset whatever device it is you are using... If it isn't your wireless network, someone else has the key and you will need to either find it in your records or request it again...

The Lenovo has a built-in receiver, so if what you have is a cardbus, it isn't even relevant... It would again be a matter of finding out what the Network Key is from whoever is actually in charge of your wireless network...
Budfred

#17 Glenski

Glenski

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:40 PM

I'm sorry if my misunderstanding of terminology has confused you.

I have a card for my home computer (not the Lenovo), and together with this to provide wireless connection. My building provides nothing.
http://www.azmic1.co.../wla-g54c_p.jpg
I guess we were talking about a bridge. The card and bridge set comes with a CDROM.
This device (the airstation) is what I reset.

The Lenovo must have its own internal card/receiver, because it works at my office with the wireless system there.

My ISP also provides a box for Internet service, and the bridge is plugged into that. I do not know if you call this box a router or something else. My apologies.

From what I could tell, there is no WLA-G54C/P... Are you sure that is a "P"??

Yes. I could photograph the original box that the airstation came in if you don't believe me. Perhaps it is a model only found in Japan...?
http://buffalo.jp/pr...m/w/wla-g54c_p/

The Network Key is essentially another way of talking about a password... It identifies the network and limits access to those who have the key... Again, without knowing how you are connecting and who is in charge of the network, I can't tell you where yours is...

With all this new information, can you tell me now?

Edited by Glenski, 08 May 2009 - 04:43 PM.

#18 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,559 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:06 PM

Please don't edit your post after I have posted, it is much more difficult to follow what is happening...

It is likely that the box provided by your ISP is the router and the bridge is to set it up with wireless access or extend the access... Please post the information you have about that box...

And yes, the Lenovo almost certainly has an internal receiver -- almost all laptops come with them these days... Since you said you don't have an optical drive in the laptop, I am guessing it is actually a netbook and they are designed for wireless access by default... You shouldn't need any software to get it working either, but you do need the access info for the router and bridge... I think the bottleneck is the router, but we can probably unplug that bottleneck if you can tell me what router it is... The stuff you posted about accessing it through the IP is valid... If we can get the manual for it, you can probably do that successfully... Post whatever details you can find on the router indicating a model/brand or whatever and I can probably find it...

The link you posted for WLA-G54C/P gives it as WLA-G54C_P which will show results on a search. However, it takes you to the manual we already found, so that is what you would use for the bridge...
Budfred

#19 Glenski

Glenski

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:21 PM

Sorry for editing after you had posted. I didn't notice, and I was adding to my post several times as I ran across the information.

FWIW,
I uninstalled the English version of Powerpoint Viewer and downloaded/installed a Japanese version. It seems to work fine, so unless you know of some fix that lets me use the English version (preferred), I guess I will have to live with Japanese menus.

My router:
Provided by the NTT phone company here.
PR-200NE (GE-PON-ONU)

#20 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,559 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:48 PM

Is this what the router looks like:

http://74.125.95.132...lient=firefox-a

The only solution for the PP Viewer issue would probably be to install an English copy of Windows... Otherwise, it is probably a good chance to practice your Japanese reading skills... :)
Budfred

#21 Glenski

Glenski

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:40 AM

No, that is not at all what my router looks like. Here's someone else's picture from Flickr. Exactly my model, too.
http://www.flickr.co...rkey/397899133/

#22 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,559 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:08 AM

As near as I can tell, you have an optical interface and the bridge is what actually provides the wireless capability... That means you are back to this:

Page 4 tells you how to set up a password and the whole thing walks you through setting it up... I suggest following that and see if you can get it to connect... If you still run into trouble, I suggest seeing if buffalotech has a forum that could help or go to PC Guide and post about it in the networking subforum... At least a couple of members there are in Japan and I believe they speak Japanese...

http://www.pcguide.com/vb/index.php?
Budfred

#23 Glenski

Glenski

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for finding the English manual. I'm afraid that it is so technical that I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do. I'll have to check with that forum you recommended.

Why is this so difficult? I'm not a total greenhorn to these sorts of things, but the way that manual was written, it is not the least bit easy to figure out. Sorry for the rant.

#24 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,559 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:07 PM

Thanks for finding the English manual. I'm afraid that it is so technical that I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do. I'll have to check with that forum you recommended.

Why is this so difficult? I'm not a total greenhorn to these sorts of things, but the way that manual was written, it is not the least bit easy to figure out. Sorry for the rant.

I have found most networking materials difficult to decipher... However, there are several networking experts at PC Guide who can probably help you figure out what you need... I suggest posting a link to the manual to help them help you...
Budfred

#25 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,815 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:07 PM

Glenski,

If you are still having issues opening PowerPoint files, the free, open source OpenOffice is compatible with PowerPoint and should be able to open PowerPoint presentations in all languages without trouble.

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#26 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,815 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:58 PM

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please tell the moderating team by replying here with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button