Bad Host Entry 127.0.0.1 spywareinfo.com

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Speedee

Speedee

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:01 AM

Some years ago I bookmarked spywareinfo.com (and other good resources) in my browsers' Favorites.

(I have far too many bookmarks and they need a good sort out; now I'm using Firefox I rarely use them at all!)

Luckily! I haven't had too many problems with nasties, and had all but forgotten about this/previous website, but a few months ago, one of the Spyware programs I was running, not sure which now Spyware Terminator? (I had too many and have cut them down!) alerted me I had some Bad Favorites!!

I used McAfee's SiteAdvisor and learned that the previous domain had been taken over by someone not so nice! and I deleted the old ones, and bookmarked the new one ;)

Recently, I did a scan with the Google Pack version of Spyware Doctor, and it told me I had 2 infections:

Threat Name - Spyware.Possible_Website_Hijack
Type - Bad Host Entry , Risk - High
Infection 127.0.0.1 www.spywareinfo.com (and the other was spywareinfo.com)

As Spyware Doctor fail to clean these I searched Google for some guidance!

I think I understand what a Host file does and thought spywareinfo.com and the www. version should still be in there, so I posted this post at Spyware Doctors forum and got a reply from a moderator.

As I'm not computer expert I joined this forum to let you know of my latest findings, as I'm not 100% sure what else to do! and if Spyware Doctor is wrong as saying spywareinfo.com is OK now, and should n't be redirected to 127.0.0.1 ??

I'm using Avira Antivirus Free, Comodo Firewall, Spyware Doctor (Google Pack), SpywareBlaster, Spybot Search and Destroy (no tea-timer), and I run Malwarebytes now and again!

Thanks, Speedee :unsure:

#2 nasdaq

nasdaq

Forum Deity

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,278 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:43 AM

The Spywareinfo.com is now owned by a malware group. So the entries in your hosts file should NOT be removed.

Infection 127.0.0.1 www.spywareinfo.com (and the other was spywareinfo.com)

Our new address and name is now SpywareInfoForum, at http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/

Thank you.
nasdaq

Favorite tools: [ SpywareBlaster ] [ Spybot ] [ AdAware ] [ HijackThis ]
[ Housecall online virus scan ] [ Bitdefender online virus scan ]
[ AVG antivirus ] [ Sunbelt Personal Firewall ] [ ZoneAlarm firewall ]

My help is free, but if we have helped you in anyway,please considerDonating ,
see this topic for details.
We need members like you.

========
Shouldn't water be worth more than diamonds?
Adam Smith Glasgow, 1760

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button