• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PP3P

PP3P

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:15 AM

Hi; I have been asked (gotten 'volunteered')to help my I.T. Dept to clean :bangbang: computers that are unfortunately infected with the Conflicter virus . ( how it got ON there is another matter!!)

I have been thinking about this and how they have asked us to do it

Their 'instructions' to us are to apply the SP3 ( or whichever Patch is needed) , reboot, THEN do the cleaning which will probably include a full update of the Antivirus program and patch it too :techsupport:

Before I double-check with my IT Dept I thought I would check here as surely one applies the Security Patches AFTER the comp is clean :scratchhead:

If so, what effect , if any, will all our cleaning have OR will we actually be wasting our time if we do the process' backwards'?

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,510 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:14 AM

It may work, but it is more likely not to... When the computer is infected with malware today, it often sets up traps for efforts to deal with it... Since this infection relies on Windows not being updated, it would not be surprising for it to block part or all of the SP3 install... If it does, you will need to reinstall it once the computer is clean anyway, although you may not know that you need to... In general, it is safer to do the cleaning, then do the updating... It would also be important to take the computers offline so that they don't have a chance to reinfect each other of reinfect online... I would make up a cleaning disk that I would use on each computer and possibly put SP3 on that disk (or a separate one) to install once each computer is clean...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,814 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:46 PM

I can only echo Budfred's comments.

Before I double-check with my IT Dept I thought I would check here as surely one applies the Security Patches AFTER the comp is clean

Yes please urge your IT Department to not apply ANY Microsoft Updates until the computers are clean. Doing otherwise may cause irreparable damage.

Do use Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool. They seemed to be on top of Conficker when it first came out.

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#4 PP3P

PP3P

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:29 PM

They have changed their 'plans' to, what, I know not.......

BUT I did express MY 'concerns' to the I.T. Dept about us cleaning ( or trying to clean) the comps BEFORE we Patched them >>>

How they do intend to do the 'cleaning ' remains to be seen...and if we have useable comps after it :techsupport:

#5 PP3P

PP3P

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:12 AM

For anyone reading this ...a salutory warning

The computer I was told by my I.T. Dept to update to SP3 and then to 'clean' is now one that is having boot- up problems

As I do not own that computer and was working on the computer under the instructions from the I.T.Dept , I had to 'do as I was told', in the order they requested...

Unfortunately they chose the incorrect order; when you are working on YOUR computer you may wish to choose the correct order...clean... THEN update to SP3 ..

I wish my I.T. Dept had done that ..

#6 NobleTruths

NobleTruths

Advanced Member

• Helper Trainee+
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:33 AM

Perhaps you could politely suggest they go through our Bootcamp. :rofl:
NO AMOUNT OF ENLIGHTENMENT
CAN ALTER THE WAY THINGS ARE.
IT IS OUR PERCEPTIONS,