Windows XP built in Firewall

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TechnoInept

TechnoInept

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:10 PM

Couple weeks ago friend asked me to do a fresh windows installation on his laptop, not a big problem, ive done plenty of them before. Loaded the usual security programs like spybot, malwarebytes, avira, etc etc etc.

I've mainly been using the built in windows firewall because its simple and does its job. Considered loading one like Comodo but as I went through I started to shy away from it because it would freak out at every single little new process, all of them legit, and the owner of the laptop is not very familiar with the workings of windows beyond every day use.

My question for you all is this:

Is the built in windows firewall good enough for someone who mainly wishes to just browse the web, check his email and use it for work / family related issues like writing documents or xcel files?

If not, what is a more user friendly firewall for those that are not very familiar with the inner-workings of windows and what is (and is not) okay to allow.

I've read the posts here and bleepingcomputer about securing a system with the windows firewall and such but I'm looking for purely personal opinions.

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,460 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:09 PM

We ask you in a number of places to do the research before asking questions and it appears that you did not do that here...

We have said in a number of places that the Windows Firewall is not adequate, primarily because it only deals with incoming traffic in XP... We have also pointed out that most other firewalls have a simple setting that doesn't require a lot of user involvement, which is ideal for the situation you describe...

Please do the research... If you want more personal opinions, look up the previous posts about this topic which are in Boot Camp and the public forums...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button