Program-Specific Keylogger

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Drew0889

Drew0889

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:48 PM

.. Okay, so lets say that you're having a keylogging issue with just one program. Does anyone know of any software that can, say...

Detect programs interacting with another specific one.

For example, we'll call the program in question Program A.
The keylogger is Program B.

Is there any piece of anti-malware software that would be able to show all other programs interacting with Program A at any given point, in order to hopefully root out Program B?

In case anyone needs further clarification, I'm currently dealing with an annoying World of Warcraft account keylogger, which, from what I gather, is transmitting the password string to it's host upon successful login. I've tried identifying it by watching active network activities via Online Armor Firewall, as well as process explorer. No help. I've also briefly glanced through my HJT logs for new entries, and anything suspicious. Still no luck.

Help??

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:22 PM

If you read the FAQ and post a log in Malware Removal, our helpers can help you find the relevant files...

There are tools for monitoring whatever goes through your computer, but they are not always going to catch stuff like this... Given that these WOW infections are usually not a problem on an updated and well protected computer, that is the best defense... Unfortunately, many WOW players believe that will slow down play and don't do it...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 Drew0889

Drew0889

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:36 PM

If you read the FAQ and post a log in Malware Removal, our helpers can help you find the relevant files...

There are tools for monitoring whatever goes through your computer, but they are not always going to catch stuff like this... Given that these WOW infections are usually not a problem on an updated and well protected computer, that is the best defense... Unfortunately, many WOW players believe that will slow down play and don't do it...

Mmm.. I've never really worried about the use of system resources, so long as the programs are doing their job protecting me. When I "contracted" this infection, I was running a completely updated Online Armor Firewall as well as Avast On-Access Scanner. Didn't seem to stop it, and I can only give it my best guess as to why... which is because Online Armor somehow believed it to be part of WoW and let it slip by. It doesn't seem to have affected any other programs (such as Firefox, IE, ect).. and none of my other accounts have been compromised.

I'd be happy to hear any suggestions you have for protecting against these sort of threats in the future, as I'm always happy to upgrade my security web... And as for the malware removal forums, I've considered posting there, but I'm a little hesitant because it seems a little selfish to use the precious time of volunteers on a problem that I may (or may not) be able to solve by myself with the right software. Moreover, it seems that at a few of the other forums I've browsed through, they don't give much attention to threads involving WoW keyloggers, perhaps passing it off as a problem of insignifant importance. Dunno.

Anyway, looking for to any replies. Thanks.

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:14 AM

Our helpers help with a lot of WOW keyloggers... My understanding is that there is a protection specific to WOW that is available either through the program or the game... I am afraid I am not as familiar with it as a number of the helpers here...

This is probably the most commonly and effectively used tool for monitoring your system:

http://technet.micro...s/bb896653.aspx
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#5 Drew0889

Drew0889

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:45 AM

Our helpers help with a lot of WOW keyloggers... My understanding is that there is a protection specific to WOW that is available either through the program or the game... I am afraid I am not as familiar with it as a number of the helpers here...

This is probably the most commonly and effectively used tool for monitoring your system:

http://technet.micro...s/bb896653.aspx

Yeah, I've had Process Explorer installed on my system for quite a long time... just haven't been vigilant enough to run it every time I log into WoW. Probably something I will be doing more often after this incident. But anyway, currently in the process of working my way through the sticky in the malware removal subforum.

Thanks again for the reply.
- Drew

#6 3ax

3ax

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

I think there is an iphone app that changes your wow accounts password upon logout, it usually makes it a lot of random numbers and letters so that you have to open your ipod/iphone to access your account for extra security.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button