Malware Related Question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jmroberts

jmroberts

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:14 PM

My friend just got some really bad malware on her computer and so she has to reformat, but I was wondering if she should not copy some of the files she needs onto a usb drive to risk future malware infection, or is there something I should have her do to prevent this and still copy over her files? Just some MSword files and mp3s, a quick answer would be greatly appreciated because she's freaking out :/

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,521 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:01 PM

My friend just got some really bad malware on her computer and so she has to reformat, but I was wondering if she should not copy some of the files she needs onto a usb drive to risk future malware infection, or is there something I should have her do to prevent this and still copy over her files? Just some MSword files and mp3s, a quick answer would be greatly appreciated because she's freaking out :/

It depends on the infection... If it is Virut, it is possible that even MSWord and MP3 files are infected... If it is, she can back them up, but I would use a computer running Linux to do a major set of scans on the files before using any of them and I would NOT even plug the flash drive into a PC without making sure it is clean... Even if it isn't Virut, I would do the same routine...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button