3 replies to this topic

#1 pearlly

pearlly

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:10 PM

G'day

I registered dimdim.com in order to host a web conference. It requires a tiny 2mb plugin download in order to share my computer screen. I am wondering dimdim.com whether is a safe P2P program, and want to get some advice from the experts. Would this plugin introduce virus, malware or spyware into my computer? I had a virus problems which took me 6 weeks to clear that, thanks for all the help from this forum, I want to practise safely to avoid future virus related problems.

thanks in advance
Pearlly

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,519 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:09 AM

P2P generally means person to person sharing of files, usually music, movies or other media, but also cracks and other illegal software... What you are describing sounds more like a conferencing program... In looking at their site, that appears to be the nature of the program... I suggest checking through their privacy information and look for other information about security... You can also check them out with Site Advisor and Web of Trust to see if there are any reports of problems... My guess is that they are okay since their business is all about being trusted, but I would investigate before I used them...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 pearlly

pearlly

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:43 AM

Thanks Budfred, Dimdim.com says it does not require any download to host or view conference, but it does require a download of a plugin in order to share my desktop. I am wondering if anything related to sharing my desktop would this be unsafe? I did check dimdim.com with site advisor and web or trust, both did not find anything bad. What do you suggest?

thanks again
pearlly

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,519 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:45 AM

I can only guess that it is safe since I haven't had any direct experience and I haven't heard of any problems... Any web conferencing option is going to require some kind of download, so that is not a red flag... Unless you see something suspicious, it sounds like you are okay...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button