28 replies to this topic

#1 angoid

angoid

Cyberdefenestrator

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:16 AM

Ever since the upgrade to the newer software, I notice that I have to click on the "Log in" button (top right) twice before getting a login prompt.

Also, if I arrive here from an email (PM notification, thread reply notification), and I'm not already logged in, I also have to click the link to log in twice. In thise case, the link details are lost and I get sent to the forum home page. Then I either have to find where I need to go, or otherwise click the link in the email again (now I'm logged in it'll take me to the appropriate section of the forum, PMs or specific thread, etc).

I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium with IE8, all the updates.

Any idea as to why this should be or what can be done to fix it?

Edit: If using an older version of IE (such as IE7), the quick reply box messes over part of the screen display and I've even had the text I'm trying to type hidden ... meaning I have to type blind or use a text exitor and paste my reply in! This happens to a degree also in IE8 with Compatability View.

Clearly this is an HTML / CSS standards issue somewhere, but is there are chance this could be looked at?

Are others experiencing this issue?

Edited by angoid, 27 March 2010 - 09:19 AM.

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,530 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:55 AM

I am generally logged in here with cookies and such, but when I go to other IPB forums which I don't visit often, I have to log in again even though I ask it to remember me and enable cookies... When I do, I usually need to go back to the link in the email notification to reach the topic I was originally trying to reach... I don't need to click on the log-in link twice... I don't use IE for forums at all, so I haven't seen the problem you describe at all... I believe you have the option to turn off or minimize Fast Reply, so maybe that would help...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 angoid

angoid

Cyberdefenestrator

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:25 AM

Thanks BudFred .... this is a new box and haven't yet had the time to get hold of another browser (something I need to do), but I'm fairly sure I saw the problem even when clicking on the Reply button using anything older than IE8.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.

#4 Rocket Grannie

Rocket Grannie

SWI Australian Rebel

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,941 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:49 AM

I have had to open my Netscape browser to post this ; What IE versions WILL run on this board please?

IE 8. You would do well to upgrade as IE 7 is very vulnerable to malware.

Firefox, Opera, Chrome all work well and have up to date security patches.

a114.gif

My help is free however if you wish to make a donation please see Here

#5 nasdaq

nasdaq

Forum Deity

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,276 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:25 AM

angoid

Did you try to delete all you current cookies associated with this board?
nasdaq

Favorite tools: [ SpywareBlaster ] [ Spybot ] [ AdAware ] [ HijackThis ]
[ Housecall online virus scan ] [ Bitdefender online virus scan ]
[ AVG antivirus ] [ Sunbelt Personal Firewall ] [ ZoneAlarm firewall ]

My help is free, but if we have helped you in anyway,please considerDonating ,
see this topic for details.
We need members like you.

========
Shouldn't water be worth more than diamonds?
Adam Smith Glasgow, 1760

#6 fireflykaylee

fireflykaylee

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:17 AM

Running IE7 and having the EXACT same issues - needing to click twice on Sign in, text blocked/hidden when I tried to post logs, etc. Thought it was just me....

#7 angoid

angoid

Cyberdefenestrator

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:48 AM

Nasdaq - that's the first thing I tried. It had no effect.

It doesn't matter whjat version of IE I use, I always have the click-on-login-link-twice issue.
The issue of the reply box being messed up by the forum layout exists on IE7 and below.

I apreciate that IE7 needs to be updated to IE8, but the problem one might have if coming here from work equipment (say during lunchtime) is that company software may not yet be qualified for IE8, and thus you may be discouraged from downloading and installing it. Certainly our web-based call logging system, Infra, which is a 3rd-party solution we have bought in is not fully compatible with IE8.

Their support line goes like this: if you have a problem, the first question they ask you is what version of IE you're using. If you say 8, then they'll say "This software is not qualified for IE8" and hang up.

Yeah, I know. Shoddy support. But it's not the only product out there that hasn't yet been tested against IE8 and entered a support phase with that version of the browser.

So unfortunately, forum software does need to be backward-compatible because some folk don't upgrade as soon as they would like because they cannot upgrade as soon as they would like.

Edited by angoid, 29 March 2010 - 05:57 AM.

#8 nasdaq

nasdaq

Forum Deity

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,276 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:42 AM

I'm working with Vista and I.E. 8 with no issues.

What about setting this forum in your trusted sites.
nasdaq

Favorite tools: [ SpywareBlaster ] [ Spybot ] [ AdAware ] [ HijackThis ]
[ Housecall online virus scan ] [ Bitdefender online virus scan ]
[ AVG antivirus ] [ Sunbelt Personal Firewall ] [ ZoneAlarm firewall ]

My help is free, but if we have helped you in anyway,please considerDonating ,
see this topic for details.
We need members like you.

========
Shouldn't water be worth more than diamonds?
Adam Smith Glasgow, 1760

#9 angoid

angoid

Cyberdefenestrator

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:52 AM

I'm using IE8 at work, despite the Infra issues so no need .... it's just when I'm accessing this site from other locations not having IE8 that it occurs.
Compatability View replicates the issue, so I can't see how setting this site up in the Trusted Zone is going to resolve it. That's normally used to overcome permission problems, etc.

#10 Chancellor

Chancellor

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:10 PM

I know it's no help, but strangely, I have the exact same problem too!

I didn't mention it because I didn't want to be the only one! So I'm relieved to know it's not just me :)
Chancellor

Please consider a donation to help Support SWI
Malware Complaints - Report them here and fight back!
Member of ASAP Since 2006 (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals)
Please read the FAQ and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?".

#11 Guest_Foxcub2_*

Guest_Foxcub2_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:01 AM

I am unable to log in to Bootcamp for some time.
I have obtained new password but still remain unaccepted.
I have Emailed CNM.
I have now rejoined as Foxcub2 but have no facility for PM
Having been a member for several years I feel sure you would advise if membership was to be discontinued.
Foxcub alias Foxcub2

#12 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:12 PM

I have no problem logging in with IE 8 (either 32 bit or 64 bit), Firefox, or Chrome.
As advised above, delete all cookies and temporary internet files would be the first thing to try.

Foxcub: I have checked your account and it looks fine. Shows Foxcub as Helper Trainee. You say you have emailed me, but I have not received any email from you. Problem could possibly be because of your hotmail email address - we don't allow hotmail. Send me an email from Foxcub2 and we'll see what can be done.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#13 Guest_Foxcub2_*

Guest_Foxcub2_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:16 PM

I have no problem logging in with IE 8 (either 32 bit or 64 bit), Firefox, or Chrome.
As advised above, delete all cookies and temporary internet files would be the first thing to try.

Foxcub: I have checked your account and it looks fine. Shows Foxcub as Helper Trainee. You say you have emailed me, but I have not received any email from you. Problem could possibly be because
of your hotmail email address - we don't allow hotmail. Send me an email from Foxcub2 and we'll see what can be done.

Thank you CNM. I will try using GMail
Foxcub

#14 Foxcub

Foxcub

Reader

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:51 PM

CNM.
Most strange.
Suddenly I am resurrected & can gain access again.
My old avatar has returned too :bounce:
Will alter Hotmail address and have cancelled Email to you.
Thanks for your assistance.

Foxcub

Edited by Foxcub, 08 April 2010 - 01:55 PM.

#15 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:54 PM

Foxcub - great. I am deleting foxcub2.
UNITE

#16 angoid

angoid

Cyberdefenestrator

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:38 AM

Just now added this site to my Trustde Sites - no effect :( the problem persists.

Update:
Firefox 3.6.3 (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)) exhibits the same having-to-click-the-login-link-twice problem, but not the one of the quick reply feature not rendering corerctly.

Edited by angoid, 13 April 2010 - 11:50 AM.

#17 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:00 PM

I don't know what to tell you, other than the usual clear cookies and cache. It works fine for me with FF, Chrome, IE 8 either 32 or 64 bit.
UNITE

#18 angoid

angoid

Cyberdefenestrator

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:28 PM

OK, thanks cnm. The FF was a clean install, so there would have been no cookies or anything there anyway.
Thanks for yuor input.

#19 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,815 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:08 PM

Just an f.y.i.; I'm at my university's library and also had to click Log In twice before I could actually log in.

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#20 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:16 PM

My own connection to any site is pretty iffy the last few days. Presumably Comcast's problem. For me SWI is easier to connect to than most of the others I visit.
UNITE

#21 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:04 PM

I've had this issue for a while now with SWI, it's the first click when I go to the site. If I'm logged out I have to click log in twice, the first time doesn't work. If I am logged in it's the first click I make I have to do twice. I'm using FF and have tried a few ways to make it stop with no success, so I've just learned to live with it. This is the only forum it happens to me on.
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#22 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:17 PM

It used to happen at the Invision site, but it stopped. I've never seen it here. Something to do with Java I believe. It's a Java script that logs you in.
UNITE

#23 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,815 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:46 PM

cnm I may have found the problem.

Please check the link for the Sign In button on the top-right corner of the page. It links to:

http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=global&section=login ? s = xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/

^which now has the proper Sign In link:

http://www.spywarein...l&section=login

Edit: Oh interesting-- it hides the login?s=############################# if it's typed in a post;

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#24 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:58 PM

Sign in works for me - I don't like to mess with it -
Using it doesn't require two clicks for me.
UNITE

#25 r2d290

r2d290

SWI Junkie

• Helper
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:36 PM

Just want to notice that this is still a problem. It doesn't matter whether I'm on XP, Vista or W7. It doesn't matter whether I'm on IE, Chrome or the new FireFox. And it doesn't matter whether I'm home or at the school.

The first time I open the web-browser, I got this link for the "Sign in"-button:
hxxp://www.spywareinfoforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=global&section=login?s= *******************

When I press the Sign In-button, the new link is:
hxxp://www.spywareinfoforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=global&section=login

I can now write my username and password and sign in. Then I can sign out, and then press the “Sign In”-button again, and then I can sign in at the first attempt. If I'm signing off and close the web-browser, and then open the web-browser again, I'm back to the beginning.

The same problem goes for the “Sign Out”-button.
If I've just signed in to the forum, the “Sign Out”-button works perfectly with this link:
hxxp://www.spywareinfoforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=global&section=login&do=logout&k= *******************

but if I close the web-browser and then open the web-browser (and then automatically signs in to the forum), I get this long link:

hxxp://www.spywareinfoforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=global&section=login&do=logout&k= ***********************?s= *************************

and then I get this message: [#2012] The link you followed to logout appears to be badly formed. Please go back and click the link again.

edit: The forum is too smart for me :p

Edited by AMR, 23 March 2011 - 06:43 PM.

#26 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:39 PM

What browsers have you tried? And try deleting your SWI cookies.
UNITE

#27 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,815 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:42 PM

Happens to me too in all browsers. Same issue as outlined in post #23.

#28 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:58 PM

What can I say. It doesn't happen to me so I have no idea how to troubleshoot.
UNITE

#29 r2d290

r2d290

SWI Junkie

• Helper
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:02 AM

The first site I visited after I installed FireFox was SWI, so I doubt it is a cookie-problem. And the same problem in both IE an Chrome.

And today I'm sitting at the school. Same problem.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button