Antispyware Soft cause

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Snydes

Snydes

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:51 PM

A few days ago I somehow managed to get infected with the oh-so-popular antispyware soft virus. I only know this after doing a search on it after contracting it and finding A LOT of results within the last month or so. What I am confused on is how I got it. At the time of this popping up I was using some home design software I've been using for about a year now, and I had my Opera browser open with e-plans.com showing a floorplan I was working off of. I hadn't installed anything new within maybe the last week, had no windows open playing any video (I've heard of codecs having hidden trojans) and either way i never download any software from anywhere but reputable sites (i.e. direct from developers site or big names like Cnet). I've read from many others that they were able to remove it using programs such as Malwarebytes or Hijackthis but I had no success (and yes, it was done in safe mode). Fortunately I was in the market for a new system anyway but I want to know how to avoid this in the future.

Anyone else have this problem or maybe know what could have caused this? Also should mention at the time of the infection I had AVG antivirus and Malewarebytes already installed and running in the background.

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,466 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:51 PM

There are many ways to get infected and we cannot tell you without a thorough history of all the places you have visited, emails you have opened and so on... Cnet is a major site, but I believe they specifically say that they cannot guarantee that the programs available there are not infected... I know that we have had malware links posted on our site and Members managed to download a few of them before we could nuke them... Some people assume that because it is on a trusted site, it is trusted... It is possible that you visited a spoofed site that you thought was legit, that you opened an email that had a hook in it, that you used an infected flash drive to transfer a file and so on... It you were not running a firewall, it may simply have been a drive-by download...

The brute truth is that the only way to make sure your computer is not infected and will never be infected is to build it yourself with a clean hard drive, wipe that drive a few times, build a vault in the ground with about 3 feet of concrete walls, put the computer in the bottom of the vault, fill it with fresh concrete and forget about it... In other words, if you are online, you are at risk...

It is likely that if you post logs from that computer in our Malware Removal forum, you will be able to clean it up... If you choose not to do that, please wipe the drive quite thoroughly so that whoever might get it next will not start with an infection...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button