Photo

Am I running too many anti-virus/spyware programs?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mfulcher

mfulcher

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:38 PM

Hello

This is my first post here and my noobiness is about to be revealed. So recently it has come to my attention that I should not be running more than one anti-virus and one anti-spyware program on my computer.

I'm currently using:

Malwarebytes (free version)
AVG Free
AdAware
Windows Defender... (I guess this one is built into Vista?)

Do I need to axe any of these programs? If so, which?

Thanks!

Edit: also have HijackThis but I figured that would be ok since it only runs when I ask it to.

Edited by mfulcher, 15 July 2010 - 01:43 PM.

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,524 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:50 PM

It looks like the only antivirus you have running is AVG... As long as you don't have the anti-spyware component active, you can leave it alone... With Defender, MBAM and AdAware - you can keep all three, just make sure you have resident protection enabled on only one... MBAM and AdAware only offer the resident protection if you pay for them, so you are probably okay... HijackThis is okay since, as you noted, you run it when you need it and it doesn't fix anything unless it is told to...

The main issue is that you didn't mention a firewall... Vista comes with one turned on, so you probably have one... I suggest you check in your Security Center to confirm that it is on... Running without a firewall is like running naked through rose bushes, not a good idea...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 albertrong

albertrong

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:13 AM

You have install too many Antivirus in your computer, you' better uninstall two and keep your computer with a antivirus and a anti-spyware. after that you should celan up registries in your computer. it is very useful. try to use Perfect Optimizer which could help you.

Hopes help you.

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,524 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:22 AM

You have install too many Antivirus in your computer, you' better uninstall two and keep your computer with a antivirus and a anti-spyware. after that you should celan up registries in your computer. it is very useful. try to use Perfect Optimizer which could help you.

Hopes help you.

It appears that you posted just to advertise a program which is a Registry cleaner of dubious credibility... A quick Google search shows that people have struggled with getting a refund on this thing after it failed miserably... Also, Registry cleaners are generally something to use with great caution since they often disable systems... Since your comment is incorrect and you are posting from China, I am guessing this is the first post in a SPAM attack... If so, you will be promptly banned and marked as a SPAMmer as soon as you carry out the rest of your attack... We do not tolerate SPAM in this forum...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button