Photo

Why is it recommended that I should get a third-party firewall for Windows XP?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Almighty

Johnny Almighty

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:42 PM

When I read Tony Klein's article, "So how did I get infected in first place?" in section 6 there was the topic on Firewalls. It mentions that the firewall which is built into Windows XP. It doesn't block everything that tries to get in. It doesn't block anything at all outbound and the firewall is written in the registry.

But wouldn't installing a third party firewall conflict with the firewall which is built into Windows XP? Should I disable Windows XP firewall before I install the third-party firewall? And if I do, which one is the best out of these, Online Armor, Outpost or Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall (these were the ones mentioned in the Tony Klein article)?

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,430 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:44 PM

If you install a third party firewall, it will usually disable Windows Firewall for you, so that is usually not a concern... As for which of the ones mentioned is best, that is a matter of debate and preference... I use Sunbelt (which used to be Kerio) on my XP computer, but I would be okay with using one of the others as well... Also, NO firewall is going to block everything that tries to get in, especially if you invite something which is often how infections happen...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 Johnny Almighty

Johnny Almighty

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:15 PM

If you install a third party firewall, it will usually disable Windows Firewall for you, so that is usually not a concern... As for which of the ones mentioned is best, that is a matter of debate and preference... I use Sunbelt (which used to be Kerio) on my XP computer, but I would be okay with using one of the others as well... Also, NO firewall is going to block everything that tries to get in, especially if you invite something which is often how infections happen...

Thank you for your advice. I do appreciate it.

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button