3 replies to this topic

#1 duckfeet

duckfeet

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:49 PM

I like books on cybercrime. They get dated fairly quickly, unfortunately, but I just got Fatal System Error: The Hunt for the New Crime Lords Who Are Bringing Down the Internet by Joseph Menn published in 2010 from my local library, and found it fascinating. The beginning was mostly about criminals using DDOS attacks against gambling sites in Costa Rica, but it eventually got more in depth into the different ways these criminal organizations make their money, and how they are protected in different ways...and how ill prepared we are to fight them at the governmental level, if we even have the will to do so. Interesting Website with info: http://fserror.com/index.html

They did mention Castlecops, and also how the focus from the criminals is more and more stealing credit card information and bank passwords and such. It was a 'whodunnit' and that was gripping, as a man from England was in Russia working to bring down some very well protected criminals, but also gave details about some of the more well know viruses and trojans, and how the criminals use them...a chilling book, interesting...made me proud I'm a trainee here, and on the side of the good guys...

I also just finished Cybershock:Surviving Hackers, Phreakers, Identity Thieves, Internet Terrorists and Weapons of Mass Disruption by Winn Schwartau (2000) but it seemed too heavily political for my tast...any other books others found interesting?
My help is free. However, Donations in support of this website are always appreciated!

#2 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:11 AM

any other books others found interesting?

An old one: The Cuckoo's Egg :)

The Cuckoo's Egg: Tracking a Spy Through the Maze of Computer Espionage is a 1989 book written by Clifford Stoll. It is his first-person account of the hunt for a computer cracker who broke into a computer at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBL).

Posted Image

snemelk.hekko.pl - - my site with a few computer security tips...
Silesia - that's where I live!

"If I had some duct tape, I could fix that." - MacGyver

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

#3 duckfeet

duckfeet

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:48 PM

Just downloaded Zero Day by Mark Russinovich to my Kindle. This looks to be a really great book: I normally don't find fiction of this type interesting, but because this guy who writes it is so malware savvy see: http://en.wikipedia....ark_Russinovich I felt I'd take a look...the forward talks about the kind of stuff we deal with daily, and how unprepared just about everybody is to deal with serious malware. It's a book about the kind of stuff happening I feel *will* happen, and is happening...so the technical deals are for once credible and besides, the malware fighters are the heros :)

Anyway, even hard techies like it: http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/031261246X and so far, seems a good read.
My help is free. However, Donations in support of this website are always appreciated!

#4 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:16 PM

any other books others found interesting?

An old one: The Cuckoo's Egg :)

The Cuckoo's Egg: Tracking a Spy Through the Maze of Computer Espionage is a 1989 book written by Clifford Stoll. It is his first-person account of the hunt for a computer cracker who broke into a computer at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBL).

Ironically enough, that's the book that got me started on all this. Cliff Stoll is a hell of a storyteller.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button