• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 meerkat

meerkat

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:35 PM

Hi,
I have a problem with my computers. We have a small set up using six computers connected to a router which is using to give local network addresses. Router is a BT voyager V200.

When I use a laptop and carry out a search I get a set of results, however when I click a result the target address is redirected to another address such as a best-buy type of web site. If you back click and click on the result again you go to the correct web address.

This redirect happens on search engines such as google, yahoo and altavista. This happens using Firefox and Internet Explorer browsers. All histories automatically deleted. Spybot and McAfee have not picked up anything.

Okay you are probably saying I have a browser hijacker, which is what I thought. So all computers were rebuilt. All without solving this problem.

However if I use another internet connection with the same computer (laptop) I do not get redirected. Anyone got any ideas what is happening?

Regards,
Meerkat

#2 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:21 AM

Smells like a hijacked router to me... Search results are redirected on all machines, right??..
c18903e63196580f.gif

snemelk.hekko.pl - - my site with a few computer security tips...
Silesia - that's where I live!

"If I had some duct tape, I could fix that." - MacGyver

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

#3 meerkat

meerkat

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:15 PM

Smells like a hijacked router to me... Search results are redirected on all machines, right??..

Thanks, I did not know that router could be hijacked.
Regards,
Meerkat

#4 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:16 AM

Yep, this method of attack has been known for years now... If all computers were rebuilt, I guess they're clean (remember, it's very likely one of these computers was source of the infection, so I'd encourage you to change all important passwords), and only your router has to be reset back to the default factory settings (and then properly secured)...
You can take a look at my website for more information: Routers - security ... If you need help - ask... And if problem persists, I suggest you create a topic in our Malware Removal forum... :thumbsup:
c18903e63196580f.gif

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

#5 meerkat

meerkat

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:03 PM

Thanks, we actually changed the router and no more redirect.
Thanks for the help.
Meerkat

#6 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for letting us know!.. :thumbup:
Make sure your new router is secured properly - use a non-standard password, strong encryption, disable the broadcasting of the network SSID, etc. ... For more information and helpful links see the web page I've mentioned earlier: Routers - security ... Good luck!
c18903e63196580f.gif

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button