LCD -vs- LED

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BarbO123

BarbO123

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:22 PM

Does anyone have any input on the life span of an LCD -vs- an LED monitor?
Only getting about 2 years on the LCD..

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:29 PM

LCD will last forever if you don't burn out the backlight by keeping it on all the time. I am using one that is eight years old, good as new.

At one point it became very dark. My grandson explained that the old 'burn in' that screen savers were designed to prevent can still happen to the backlight if the monitor is left on for very long periods. The monitor fully recovered after several weeks of non use. Now it is automatically turned off after 2 minutes of inactivity and there has been no further problem.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 BarbO123

BarbO123

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:47 PM

LCD will last forever if you don't burn out the backlight by keeping it on all the time. I am using one that is eight years old, good as new.

At one point it became very dark. My grandson explained that the old 'burn in' that screen savers were designed to prevent can still happen to the backlight if the monitor is left on for very long periods. The monitor fully recovered after several weeks of non use. Now it is automatically turned off after 2 minutes of inactivity and there has been no further problem.

Thanks for the input. The monitor I just "lost" is actually a Samsung LCD TV that was being used primarily as a pc monitor that was left on for long periods of time.
I opened it up and checked all the capacitors (all working)
I'll hold off throwing it out until I can research more on the back light. Maybe I'll get lucky and it also will recover after some down time.
Thanks again for your input!

#4 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:04 PM

You're welcome. You will find a lot of recommendations to replace the backlight - for instance http://www.ehow.com/...t-problems.html - but my own experience suggests that this isn't always needed. Just give it a very long rest and see what happens.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#5 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,445 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for the input. The monitor I just "lost" is actually a Samsung LCD TV that was being used primarily as a pc monitor that was left on for long periods of time.
I opened it up and checked all the capacitors (all working)
I'll hold off throwing it out until I can research more on the back light. Maybe I'll get lucky and it also will recover after some down time.
Thanks again for your input!

Unless you are very skilled with electronics, opening a monitor and checking capacitors is a VERY BAD idea... They carry a shock that is quite capable of killing someone, even if they haven't been powered for a long time...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#6 Amker1

Amker1

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:26 PM

IMO, LCD is much better solution than LED at least for next 3-5 years.

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button