#1 PP3P

PP3P

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:31 PM

I have just tried to download the most up -to- date version of Stinger from
http://www.mcafee.co...se-stinger.aspx

but, on attempting to run it I am told it may be infected and it would not load so I have removed it from my computer ; when downloading it I got no warning from Avast about it

Is it infected or is this a glitch ?

Edited by PP3P, 02 May 2011 - 02:32 PM.

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:49 PM

Didn't know this tool was still around! It runs fine for me on Windows 7 Home Premium (x64).

What did you get the warning from?
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 george

george

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:10 PM

I too didn't know it was still around,,personally I use MS Security Essentials and MBAM, and run CcLeaner every once and awhile to keep the clutter down,,Word of caution to those less than geeky,,do not change default settings in Ccleaner unless you no what you are doing,,Default settings while cover just about anything a less than geeky type needs to keep the registry and cache running smoothly.I also keep a copy of SuperAntiSpyware handy as a back up or another opinion just in case hehe.And as always if you don 't keep them updated you might as well not even have em as well as any browser add ons such as adobe ,flash and JAva.

If you seek revenge ,,dig 2 graves!

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,520 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:54 PM

I too didn't know it was still around,,personally I use MS Security Essentials and MBAM, and run CcLeaner every once and awhile to keep the clutter down,,Word of caution to those less than geeky,,do not change default settings in Ccleaner unless you no what you are doing,,Default settings while cover just about anything a less than geeky type needs to keep the registry and cache running smoothly.I also keep a copy of SuperAntiSpyware handy as a back up or another opinion just in case hehe.And as always if you don 't keep them updated you might as well not even have em as well as any browser add ons such as adobe ,flash and JAva.

If you seek revenge ,,dig 2 graves!

Running CCleaner without changing default settings may result in crippling the computer... Registry cleaners are often dangerous to run because they use criteria for cleaning that may not be in the user's best interest...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#5 Conch

Conch

GNU/Linux User.

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:36 PM

I've been using CCleaner for years,
It's by far my favourite ever Windows cleaner, all the other registry cleaners corrupted my system, but CCleaner has cleaned my registry 30+ times with no errors, I managed to remove a gig of junk from my mum's computer once too, It's great.

#6 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,520 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:25 PM

I've been using CCleaner for years,
It's by far my favourite ever Windows cleaner, all the other registry cleaners corrupted my system, but CCleaner has cleaned my registry 30+ times with no errors, I managed to remove a gig of junk from my mum's computer once too, It's great.

It is nice that it hasn't trashed your computers... However, it is still potentially dangerous and needs to be used cautiously because of that... In general, Registry cleaners are dangerous and having junk in the Registry is really not usually a problem... If you are worried about wasting space, you are looking at a few kilobytes at most -- probably not even that... If you removed a gigabyte of junk, you were not just cleaning the Registry... There are a number of effective and safe options for cleaning up temporary files and other unnecessary files... CCleaner is okay for that as long as caution is taken in using the Registry cleaning component...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button