• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bulrush

bulrush

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:41 AM

I have WinXP Home Edition.

So I got Skype in early May and within 4 weeks I had a rootkit which redirected Google search result links to worthless marketing sites. You know the kind, they have only links to other worthless search engines. I search for car parts, and they show me searches for underwear, mortgages, and boner pills.

So I'm looking for a safer video conferencing software. I have high speed internet. And I would like to use my web cam and audio to talk to another person.

Any suggestions? Netmeeting? Yugma? Yahoo Messenger (also does video).

Thanks.

p.s. I guess my point is, I don't want the new video conf software to open vulnerabilities like Skype did.

Edited by bulrush, 09 June 2011 - 06:22 AM.

#2 duckfeet

duckfeet

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:23 AM

Hello bulrush, good move posting here:

Like I told you in the malware area: I'm clueless, I've never even used skype before: the rest of my family is all scattered throughout Argentina, and they've been using skype to stay in touch, want to show pictures of the babies, etc., and have been asking me all kinds of questions about this very subject, since I'm supposed to be the family geek, so I'm following this with interest. I'd suggest maybe also posting over at http://www.pcguide.com/vb/ if you don't get useful info here, and let me know what you come up with, so I can help the relatives, and keep my status as the computer guy :)

---

My inlaws down there, in Mendoza, are in business, and they are trying to set up a 3-way video conferencing setup as part of their business, which they intend to rent out, once they get it all set up: even said they'd pay airfare, but again, I don't know much about it...and it's a *very* long flight. ;)

Edited by duckfeet, 09 June 2011 - 11:35 AM.

My help is free. However, Donations in support of this website are always appreciated!

#3 bulrush

bulrush

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:03 AM

Here's some software I've found so far. I have WinXP so my answers are related to that.

- Gotomeeting (by Citrix) is pay only. No free version.
- MS Messenger

- Netmeeting: superceded by MS Messenger.

- Windows Meeting Space: requires Windows Vista. Works only over IPv6 networks, not the internet.

- Yahoo Messenger (probably tracks and sells your activity info)

- Yugma

Edited by bulrush, 11 June 2011 - 04:53 PM.

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,520 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:19 AM

Skype is actually pretty secure, their business depends on it... If you got an infection while using Skype, it is unlikely that it was due to their program... You may need to make sure the rest of your security is sound and this would apply no matter what program you use... I wouldn't use Skype for any material that absolutely has to be confidential, like medical consults, but for most things it is fine... If you are willing to pay enough, there are dedicated systems you can use that will provide tight security...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#5 duckfeet

duckfeet

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:04 PM

Here's some software I've found so far. I have WinXP so my answers are related to that.

- Gotomeeting (by Citrix) may not be free.

- MS Messenger

- Windows Meeting Space: requires Windows Vista. Works only over IPv6 networks, not the internet.

- Yugma

Yeah, GoToMeeting is the only one I actually knew about, and had passed on to the inlaws: I think they are going to use that one, since they are paying for a bit more security: Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia....iki/GoToMeeting
My help is free. However, Donations in support of this website are always appreciated!

#6 bulrush

bulrush

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 04:51 PM

Just because any software encrypts its outgoing data does not mean it doesn't open security holes in your system. Buyer beware.

#7 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,520 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:27 PM

Just because any software encrypts its outgoing data does not mean it doesn't open security holes in your system. Buyer beware.

True and not the case here... Skype is not noted for opening security holes any more than any other video conferencing software would... If you choose to use it and open holes yourself, that is a different matter... Most software that relies on a web presence requires opening access and that can lead to problems if not careful... This is one of the reasons I am not interested in using "The Cloud"... There is already evidence that information stored in The Cloud is not safe...

If you wish to use video conferencing software, it is probably a good idea to read everything on the site of the software about how to secure your computer while doing it and make sure you educate whoever you wish to conference with about how to secure their computers...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#8 bulrush

bulrush

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:45 PM

@Budfred: I agree about not using "The Cloud" concept. At a major company one of my friends works at, all their documents, word processing, and MS Office applications are served through the cloud. No apps are installed on the PC. It's very slow, and when The Cloud goes down, thousands of people stop work, not just one workstation. At the company level, hundreds of people-hours per year are wasted waiting for an app to load. Bad idea indeed.

And there are many things that can bring down sections of The Cloud, like a bad router, bad network wiring, loose wire, or a server (one of many) gets a virus.

Edited by bulrush, 13 June 2011 - 05:46 PM.

#9 mikey

mikey

Advanced Member

• Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:15 PM

So I'm looking for a safer video conferencing software. I have high speed internet.

If this was my dilemma(as it was a few years ago), I think I'd go with web conferencing on SSL instead of 'telephoney'. We use Persony(Web2 applicable) with very limited access(VPN). I thought some about hosting it publicly on a .com with SSL but I just don't see that happening. As I understand it, there are quite a few video conferencing scripts around now. If you go this route, I suggest using a VPS(or better) account(ded IP/SSL/SSH) from a GOOD host or your own appliance. If you have the expertise, this method can be very secure.

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw out an alternative. :)

The Cloud

IMO Cloud services are just like any other web services that have to be managed and maintained by qualified admin/techs.

Edited by mikey, 08 July 2011 - 09:46 AM.

#10 susan7

susan7

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

There are more options here:
http://www.webconfer...rence_home.html

Adobe Connect, GoToMeeting, WebEx and GoMeetNow are all reliable services.

- Gotomeeting (by Citrix) is pay only. No free version.
- MS Messenger

- Yugma

#11 michaelclark

michaelclark

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:47 AM

I would recommend using on premise RHUB web video conferencing appliances in order to conduct web conferences, video conferences, online meetings, online presentations etc.

#12 chewibl2

chewibl2

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

I have used GotoMeeting at work, and it is very good in features and quality. Yes you have to pay for it but you get what you pay for. I use Skype, and I have a lot of issues with it, and sometimes it works and sometime it is crap.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button