6 replies to this topic

#1 bulrush

bulrush

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:59 AM

WinXP
Symantec Antivirus 10.1.0.394

Last week I had to install something so I wanted to disable my Symantec Antivirus, so I double-clicked on the systray icon, and a main screen appeared. I did File, Unload, and now when I restart, the right processes are running, but the system tray icon is gone.

How do I get the system tray icon back? I cannot see any options in the actual program to do it. (I can start the antivirus main screen via the Start menu.)

Thanks.

Edited by bulrush, 10 June 2011 - 10:03 AM.

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:45 AM

I have had this happen with Avast a few times. I don't know what causes it.

For me this works: bring up the main program, then exit. The icon is back in the system tray.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 bulrush

bulrush

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:22 AM

I did what you said, CNM, and that didn't bring the systray icon back. Mainly I need the systray icon so I can disable the AV while I'm installing valid software or drivers. I just got a new monitor. But, instead I went to the services, and stopped the AV service that way. Now I just have to remember to restart it.

Any other ideas? This Symantec AV is copyrighted 2006. But the virus def files are updated every few days.

#4 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:35 AM

Have you tried this?

- Right click an empty area in the task bar.
- Select Properties.
- In the Notification Area, check "Hide inactive icons"
- Click on Customize
- For Norton Antivirus, it may be "Hide when inactive". Click on it and change it to "Always show".

What version of Windows are you running?
UNITE

#5 bulrush

bulrush

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:33 AM

I'm running Win XP Pro SP3. I recently installed all the Windows updates, but I did that after I was having problems with the Symantec AV systray icon.

I do have many items in that list, and the icons do not match the text for the item. Example: icon is for my K9 email spam software, but text says "GotoMeeting 4.8".

I found the AV entry, but the icon is wrong in this list. I set it to "Show always" and after clicking OK it still does not show up, even though the service is running.

If I look in my Task Manager the process rtvscan.exe is running, which my IT guy said is Symantec AV. I just have no systray icon.

I have AV version 10.1, and some research indicated this same problem with version 10.2. The suggested solution was to uninstall and reinstall the AV. Which makes me think the solution is a simple registry setting, but which one?

Edited by bulrush, 22 June 2011 - 06:41 AM.

#6 bulrush

bulrush

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:25 AM

Fixed it! Here's how:

I went to Program Files\Symantec Client Security\Symantec Antivirus and started vptray.exe. And I used Control Panel 2.8 by Mike Lin to add it to my Startup files under the Start menu.

Problem solved. The icon is there, and will be there if my computer is restarted. And when I right click the icon, and choose "Open Symantec AV", on the UI File menu, the "Unload Service" menu item is now not gray, it is available.

Edited by bulrush, 22 June 2011 - 07:26 AM.

#7 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:42 AM

Good. Glad you solved it. I know how annoying a thing like that can be.
UNITE

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button