1 reply to this topic

#1 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:01 AM

I installed Avast a few months ago and am more and more impressed by the program, the company, and their commitment to making first-rate protection avaliable for free.

Here's part of an interview with one of their very oldest team members (20 years!). https://blog.avast.c...m_campaign=blog

3. What, in your opinion, has been the underlying cause of AVAST’s success in the global market, especially against much-larger competitors?

I can assess this only from the point of view of a virus lab employee. We do everything we can to provide our clients with new or upgraded detection as often as possible. Currently, we usually create two daily virus database updates, including weekends and public holidays. If needed, we can issue a new update within a few tens of minutes, so we are very flexible to respond to any possible new threats. Thanks to our big and broad user base, we always have a rich source of new virus samples.

Another point is that for most of our people it’s not just work from 9 am to 5 pm, but, as we say, its “a mission” – which means, we work as long as needed to sort out a problem that might occur.

But, one thing we worry about a lot is false positives. Despite a rich database of clean files, that we keep up to date and use to test our program, every once in a while it happens that we detect something we shouldn’t. For such situations we have a sophisticated system to identify the problem fast and issue an update, so we minimize the adverse effect on our users.

They have a well run forum and interesting stuff on their main site http://www.avast.com such as News & Written about us

Avast does a great job of detecting malicious code on web pages - catches things that MBAM Pro misses. Sure, there are other good free antivirus programs such as Avira or for that matter, Microsoft Security Essentials. But they don't have the same comprehensive set of shields. Or the nice right-click shields control to turn off shields for 10 minutes, one hour, or until next reboot. I'm really sold on Avast.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#2 Tigzy

Tigzy

RogueKiller's developer

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:10 PM

Hello

I'm too, especially since Avira provide Ask toolbar ...
The last release of Avast is really good, and offer a large panel of security shields (name of a rogue? :p )
Developer of RogueKiller

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button