Photo

Web pages being optomised for Tablets/Phones?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Freebird

Freebird

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:28 PM

Over the last few months I have begun to notice that websites are, increasingly, being quietly optimised for viewing on an IPad/Tablet or mobile phone. When you visit sites now the page doesn't fill the screen as you would expect. Instead the main body of the page displays in 'portrait' rather than 'landscape' style down the centre of the screen or is justified to the left of the screen.

Not surprisingly, the actual width of the body of text would fit perfectly on an IPad or mobile phone screen.

It is a bit of a pain as I have to keep zooming in to pages I have not visited before, which is time consuming and when you do get the text to a size where it is legible the quality of the text and any images on the page are degraded from the magnifying effect.

I guess its the beginning of the end for the PC's - and probably the Mac and Laptops - as we know them.

Just an observation and a bit of a moan from an old DOSser.

Regards

Freebird
We know the speed of light......but, whats the speed of dark? Steven Wright - Scientist and Comedian

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:51 PM

I haven't noticed that. Are you sure it is not some setting on your PC? Please give a link where we can see this?
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 mikey

mikey

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

If the webmaster is really trying to reach everyone, they will indeed try to make their site Web2 applicable. However, if the webmaster is really a 'master', the page you land on should be a page optimized according to your user agent string.

If you use local or remote proxies, the user agent string (as well as other detections) will likely be reported differently from your own.

Just a guess. :)

#4 Freebird

Freebird

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:05 PM

Its not every site but they do seem to be increasing.

This is one that seems to be doing it: digitallife.today.com

or : Steven Wright site

The main body of the text is way out of scale with the width of the masthead, although the emboldened headline is in line with the main text as is the comments section below.

I get this on both FF5 and IE. I know there are ads on that page, but the page seems like it would display better on an Ipad than on a Laptop or PC - too much empty space on either side.

Perhaps I am just being paranoid.

My User-Agent string clearly states I am using Mozilla/5.0 (Firefox 5.0), although I am not sure about checking if 'Accept-Charset' is a problem

Like I say, it is not every site but I do seem to spend a lot of time zooming pages to read them properly. Should I post about this in the PC Troubleshooting Forum? Its not a real problem, really, just an annoyance.

Freebird

Edited by Freebird, 15 August 2011 - 04:18 PM.

We know the speed of light......but, whats the speed of dark? Steven Wright - Scientist and Comedian

#5 mikey

mikey

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:27 PM

Back in the day, we had to set a fixed pixel dimension because browsers didn't recognize '% of window'. Most webmasters tried to maintain a width of 600px because that was the most commonly used res. That kind of thinking still exists today since many users still don't use 'wide screens'.

I don't see anything wrong with either site you noted but they do use a fixed px res for at least some elements.

Screenshot 'high res'; http://forums.voiceo...08-15_17-23.jpg

Edited by mikey, 15 August 2011 - 05:32 PM.

#6 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:03 PM

Also, the problem is that widescreen monitors aren't really built for anything but media.

Generally, when you're working, you have one monitor with one maximized window (unless you're like me and you have two or more monitors - my desktop supports 8, my laptop 3). A wide screen is not conducive to that, not unless you're in Word or Acrobat Reader and using Continuous view, as the way most applications center the data on the screen means it's meant for a small 4:3 screen or a tablet/media device.

Media, however, is steadily being made more and more for widescreen in order to immerse the user in its content (not necessarily good content, but still content).

Also, Mikey - high resolution is 2x 24" 1920x1200 panels by Gateway right next to each other. I may buy the new U2412M IPS screen from Dell, which runs for $399 retail.

Edited by Tuxedo Jack, 17 August 2011 - 04:04 PM.

Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#7 mikey

mikey

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:02 AM

You sound like you too have had a few of those days where you needed to see everything simultaneously. :)

"I may buy the new U2412M IPS screen from Dell, which runs for $399 retail"

I don't know much about the 24s but we did the Dell 23s last year for the bench and desks(home office) and that worked out very well. I have a hunch that you'll like them. They look great; http://accessories.u...en&sku=320-2676 That would be my choice over Gateway. I think I'm jealous. :) Although, we've recently gotten used to using 42s(Sony) on the wall in front of my desk as well as 23s on top...handy for all that media you mentioned with these tired eyes. :) That's where I pulled the screenshot from.

Now my big goal is to convince the o'lady to allow me to also monitor from the living room. :)

#8 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,638 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:23 AM

I have added monitors somewhat randomly, so I have a 22" widescreen Asus, 24" widescreen ViewSonic and a 17" Envision... I just got the ViewSonic when my previous monitor died and paid well under $200 for it. It has an eco-feature so that I am more comfortable leaving it on... I also plan to put an Acer video projector up so that the image is over the rest of the monitors and it will probably be quite large... It had died 6 months after I got it and I sent it in to be repaired, but bought another in the meanwhile, so I don't need it where it was originally used... I just got it back and haven't gotten to setting it up yet... Most of the time, having three (and eventually four) screens isn't really needed, but occasionally I do have something going on all three screens... I figure the video on the wall will be particularly good for TV and movies... I run all of them with one video card and the native video on the mainboard... I have thought about getting a second video card, but I don't do anything that requires that much video power...

If you want a really nice and inexpensive monitor, I suggest the ViewSonic... http://www.amazon.co...duct/B003Y3BJ7S http://hk.viewsonic....pecs.php?id=365

2 ms response and 3 year warranty...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#9 mikey

mikey

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:19 AM

"... but I don't do anything that requires that much video power... "

That reminds me;

Resources

Just a thought I felt should be mentioned; Before folks start thinking about adding multi-monitors/desktops/consoles, they should also consider the resources other than just the screens.

First the host must be capable of pushing the feeds. For example; We're currently using a host equipped with a ATI Radeon HD 5870

And if you're like us and have all sorts of peripheral feeds such as game decks, cameras, etc, you may want to consider using a multi-port video switch too. We use the VS440HDMI 4x4 (remote control - very handy).

So before you run out to buy new monitors, I suggest you think about what your needs are first. Otherwise, you could spend lots of $ and still be unhappy.

Edited by mikey, 21 August 2011 - 11:51 AM.

#10 Freebird

Freebird

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:28 PM

Also, the problem is that widescreen monitors aren't really built for anything but media........

.....the way most applications center the data on the screen means it's meant for a small 4:3 screen or a tablet/media device.

Media, however, is steadily being made more and more for widescreen in order to immerse the user in its content (not necessarily good content, but still content).....

Hi Tuxedo Jack. mikey says that the pages I posted seemed ok, does that mean my problem is with having a widescreen laptop rather than a regular monitor? It just seems strange that some sites seem to display 'properly' in IE and FF and others seem to display as if optimised for a tablet or mobile phone display.

Like I said earlier, it's more of an annoyance than a problem. I don't use multiple monitors.

Is there any way to force FF to display a page so it fits a widescreen format?

Regards

Freebird

#11 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,638 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:54 PM

I view the forum in widescreen, but many other sites are either centered or to the side... I think if you force them to go widescreen, you will have them stretched out and weird... It has to be written into the code for the site to allow widescreen so that the material is not changed dramatically by each browser and video setup... I imagine that eventually there will be more widescreen sites since more users have them now...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#12 mikey

mikey

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:42 AM

Is there any way to force FF to display a page so it fits a widescreen format?

Are you by any chance running a higher res than what is 'recommended' in the CP?

Posted Image

If you are really annoyed, you could try reducing the overall res thru the CP. It can make everything seem larger that way without interferring with the browser/s' function. EDIT: After changing the res, be sure to restart the browser or entire sys so you can see what the changes look like.

You can of course also go to extreme too. You can use one or more local proxies to rewrite the web to be seen any way you want it to look...a lot of effort for such little reward in this respect, but you did ask.

Also, I think all the browsers now have 'zoom' capabilities.

Posted Image

Just some thoughts.

Edited by mikey, 23 August 2011 - 11:32 AM.

#13 Freebird

Freebird

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:42 PM

I view the forum in widescreen, but many other sites are either centered or to the side... I think if you force them to go widescreen, you will have them stretched out and weird... It has to be written into the code for the site to allow widescreen so that the material is not changed dramatically by each browser and video setup... I imagine that eventually there will be more widescreen sites since more users have them now...

Thanx for the info. I guess I will just have to be patient and deal with sites on a per visit basis. :)

Are you by any chance running a higher res than what is 'recommended' in the CP?

No, I am using 1366x768 (recommended)

If you are really annoyed, you could try reducing the overall res thru the CP......

I'm not that annoyed. :thumbup:

You can of course also go to extreme too. You can use one or more local proxies to rewrite the web to be seen any way you want it to look...a lot of effort for such little reward in this respect, but you did ask.

Also, I think all the browsers now have 'zoom' capabilities....

Way too much effort, and me and the Zoom button are best buddies now. :D

Many thanx to all for your advice and suggestions.

Regards

Freebird :wave:

#14 Freebird

Freebird

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:18 PM

Honestly, I was right. It really doesn't matter, even the righteous ( I had to Google the right spelling for "right·eous" get it wrong. Tablets and IPods are the new computers. Wide screen laptops are the fallen futures. Bring back the Tower: Deny Apple and its 'closed system'. PC Forever!!!!!!!!!!

Freebird

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button