• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hayleyscomett

hayleyscomett

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:03 PM

I have been using Outpost Free Firewall for some time, couple of years now. My question is, since that version is now two years old is it still reliable? Reason I'm asking is that I did the PC Flank test and was a bit alarmed at my results. It said:

Check for vulnerabilities of your computer system to remote attacks

Posted Image
Warning!

Trojan horse check

Posted Image Safe!

Browser privacy check

Posted Image Danger!

Would really prefer to see that green smiley face result next to the browser privacy check and the check for vulnerabilities to remote attacks. I use Firefox 8.0, so why is that in danger?? What setting in FF can make that more secure?

I also noticed on my Outpost user interface screen this message,

"Still using Outpost Firewall 6.5? Why not extend it at no charge? The brand new Outpost Security Suite Free 7.1 does more as it addresses all common threats including viruses, spam and ID theft."

I use Microsoft Security Essentials currently for antivirus, and I also use Malwarebytes AntiMalware and Spyware Blaster. If I do switch to OSS Free 7.1 instead of the free firewall, do I need to get rid of the above mentioned programs that I have so there is no conflict as I know that you shouldn't use 2 firewalls, antivirus, etc...

I hope this is the correct place to post this question, and I thank you in advance for advice/recommendation :)

Beth
" If we all can't live together, then we're going to die alone. " ~ Jack Shephard ~ LOST ~ The best show on television!

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:06 PM

If you are running Vista or Windows 7 then the built-in Windows Firewall is the one to use.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 Rocket Grannie

Rocket Grannie

SWI Australian Rebel

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,893 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:56 AM

To secure Firefox you can use add-ons such as WOT or McAfee ---- noscript ----Add block plus ----no cookies

Outpost Security Suite Free 7.1

A security suite is all encompassing. It includes antivirus, anti-spyware and firewall.

Yes this would replace Microsoft Security Essentials. You would have to disable or uninstall MSE.
If MBAM is the free version then it is okay to keep and run the occasional scan.
The paid for version would have to be disabled or uninstalled.
SpywareBlaster is okay to keep and run with everything.
a105.gif

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see here for details.

#4 hayleyscomett

hayleyscomett

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:14 AM

If you are running Vista or Windows 7 then the built-in Windows Firewall is the one to use.

I forgot to mention, sorry, I am using Windows XP.
" If we all can't live together, then we're going to die alone. " ~ Jack Shephard ~ LOST ~ The best show on television!

#5 hayleyscomett

hayleyscomett

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:21 AM

To secure Firefox you can use add-ons such as WOT or McAfee ---- noscript ----Add block plus ----no cookies

Outpost Security Suite Free 7.1

A security suite is all encompassing. It includes antivirus, anti-spyware and firewall.

Yes this would replace Microsoft Security Essentials. You would have to disable or uninstall MSE.
If MBAM is the free version then it is okay to keep and run the occasional scan.
The paid for version would have to be disabled or uninstalled.
SpywareBlaster is okay to keep and run with everything.

I do have Add Block Plus 1.3.10 add on with Firefox. I'm assuming I have the settings for that set correctly, not sure though and will have to check.

I don't have no script, but I'll definitely look into that one.

Your reply "no cookies", is that an add on? I didn't know about WOT, so I will look that one up too!

Thanks Rocket Grannie

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button