• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kage123

kage123

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:58 AM

Hi all,

Which Magazine ran a trial this month of Virus protection and the results are interesting.

PAID-FOR
Bullguard 12 - 86%
AVG - 77%
Norton - 69%
F-Secure - 68%

FREE
Microsoft Security Essentials - 84%
AVG - 75%
Avira - 65%
Avast! - 50%

Other types of virus protection rated lower than these.

I was recommended Avast! from these forums and have been really happy with it so far but this suggest others are better. Any thoughts, and is the Microsoft solution REALLY that good?

Thanks.

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:17 PM

All tests should be regarded skeptically. Depending on the suite of malware they test with, any given AV will do well on some tests and less well on others. No antivirus will catch everything as new malware is constantly being created and can slip through. And no antivirus will completely protect you if you browse unwisely or click on unknown email.

Things to consider aside from generally reliable malware detection are frequency of automatic updates (should be at least once a day), minimal slowing of PC, minimal use of resources, ease of use of the user interface to configure ignore list and so forth.

Avast is very good and so is Microsoft Security Essentiials. Try different ones and see which one you personally like the best. There is no real reason to pay for an antivirus as the free ones are excellent. I would particularly avoid the ones that make you pay a subscription every year.

Which magazine is reliable but I wouldn't use something just because it gave a good rating. Use Google to find complaints about any program you are considering.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 kage123

kage123

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:02 AM

Great advice (again). Much appreciated.
kage

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button