#1 mikey

mikey

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:18 AM

http://simsalabim.github.com/sisyphus/

Anyone tried this? Even with my trepidations about HTML5 and Web Storage this is pretty cool stuff. I hate to think how many posts I've lost over the years. :)

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:32 AM

Indeed pretty cool, mikey.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 mikey

mikey

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:52 AM

In case anyone is wondering about the ref to Web Storage, I found a good layman's description of the term 'localStorage()' (part of Web Storage spec.);

Basically it is a client-side database. That is a database that resides in the users browser and not on your server. The difference between this database and others you may be familiar with resides in that this is for key-value storage. This means you won’t be writing some crazy sql intense application while using localStorage. However, this type of storage does offer a lot of possibilities for web apps. Remember one thing though, since this is client-side, the data stored will be on a per browser basis. If a user switches between Safari and Firefox, it won’t use the same database. Same if they use your app on one machine and go to another somewhere else, that data will only be available on the machine it was created/saved on.

EDIT: Just a rambling thought; Every single thing web related that I ever thought was really usefull and served a vital purpose has been exploited to one degree or another...the more usefull/popular, the more exploitation. I wonder if this kind of stuff will be popular. :facetious:

Edited by mikey, 17 December 2011 - 01:54 PM.

#4 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:38 PM

Similar to this Add-on: Lazarus: Form Recovery, right??..
c18903e63196580f.gif

snemelk.hekko.pl - - my site with a few computer security tips...
Silesia - that's where I live!

"If I had some duct tape, I could fix that." - MacGyver

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

#5 mikey

mikey

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:58 PM

Quite so. :)

I'm thinking that we're going to be seeing hordes of various implementations derived from these new specs.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button