Good Free Firewall for XP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wynmill

wynmill

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

One year ago I had my first infection, came here and saw that this forum has doubts about MS firewall. Installed Online Armor, worked through it's aggressiveness and like it. Last month found it not updating (stating one of the update files corrupted). Deleted OA and installed the newer free version. Seems I am in the 30 day free trial period and will be asked to pay in a couple weeks.

Tried Outpost before OA and that worked just seemed a little system intensive. Any recommendations as to good functional firewall that is still free?

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

The firewall in Windows XP was unsatisfactory because it only monitored incoming traffic and provided no protection against outgoing unauthorized internet access.

The firewall in Vista is better, but it's hard to configure outbound settings. By default it lets everything through. See Analysis: New Windows Vista Firewall Fails on Outbound Security. However, see Using Vista Firewall Outbound Protection The Easy Way ('download link'). I have no experience with that myself.

For XP and Vista we recommend the Free Comodo Firewall.

Windows 7 has an excellent built-in Windows Firewall and is all you need. Turn Windows Firewall on or off
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 wynmill

wynmill

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

Thanks, I'll try it this weekend.,

#4 mikey

mikey

Advanced Member

• Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

I posted this elsewhere just a few days ago. I hope no one will mind if I just do a paste;

free 'Online Armor'

I find it harder to recommend products today than how it used to be. With so many sec tools available now (mostly scams), it is harder to pick and choose. Also, when recommending products, the user abilities must be a consideration.

I can't recommend the tools I use as an end point solution because they are designed for admin and not the casual user...like the Snort IDS(host based). This leaves me a little bit out of touch with common use.

However, I've been doing some recent informal testing of some of the more respected tools in the HIPS category. Of the products examined so far, I find OnlineArmor to be the most user friendly and with equal or better HIPS protection. It also has a strong user base and plenty of help and refs.

HIPS filtering/firewalling is essential today. Remember; " If it can't initiate, it can't infect."

BTW OnlineArmor also has what I consider a prerequisite for any HIPS tool, a 'learning mode'.

I think that's about 2c worth.

Nothing initiates on our systems without admin knowledge and approval. So we don't rely on bloated reactive signature scanners anymore.

That's not necessarily a recommendation. It's more of a statement on current affairs. :)

EDIT: Fixed accidental admin alteration.

Edited by mikey, 26 August 2012 - 04:35 PM.

#5 talkproxies

talkproxies

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

Hello.

Thanks for the post, Mickey. That has been definitely helpful to me.

Can you be more explicit with the HIP filtering part?

Best,
James

I posted this elsewhere just a few days ago. I hope no one will mind if I just do a paste;

free 'Online Armor'

I find it harder to recommend products today than how it used to be. With so many sec tools available now (mostly scams), it is harder to pick and choose. Also, when recommending products, the user abilities must be a consideration.

I can't recommend the tools I use as an end point solution because they are designed for admin and not the casual user...like the Snort IDS(host based). This leaves me a little bit out of touch with common use.

However, I've been doing some recent informal testing of some of the more respected tools in the HIPS category. Of the products examined so far, I find OnlineArmor to be the most user friendly and with equal or better HIPS protection. It also has a strong user base and plenty of help and refs.

HIPS filtering/firewalling is essential today. Remember; " If it can't initiate, it can't infect."

BTW OnlineArmor also has what I consider a prerequisite for any HIPS tool, a 'learning mode'.

I think that's about 2c worth.

EDIT: To remove SPAM link - post it again and you will be banned as a SPAMmer...

Edited by Budfred, 26 August 2012 - 03:54 PM.

#6 mikey

mikey

Advanced Member

• Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:02 PM

Can you be more explicit with the HIP filtering part?

http://www.emsisoft....cles/tec120710/

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button