Photo

Computer Monitoring Software (spyware, keylogger) Installed via a USB Port on a Victimís Computer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Steve37

Steve37

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

Has anyone had success identifying computer monitoring software (spyware, keylogger) on your computer to monitor your emails, chats, voice over internet protocol (VOIP), and/or instant messaging keystroke communications that had to be downloaded on your computer by someone you know?

On the other hand, has anyone had success installing computer monitoring software (spyware, keylogger) on another’s computer to monitor someone's emails, chats, voice over internet protocol (VOIP), and/or instant messaging keystroke communications?

Please share the successes and problems with the monitoring software, the capability of the virus detection programs on the victim’s computer, and installing the software manually via a USB port. Has anyone had much success installing the monitoring software by attaching it to an attachment in an email sent to the victim desired to be monitored?

Edited by Steve37, 29 April 2012 - 07:20 PM.

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:11 PM

You are posting in the wrong forum. We help people get rid of malware. We do not help install it. Monitoring software installed without person's knowledge seems particularly vicious to me since it is a treacherous betrayal by family or trusted friend.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,431 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

You seem to be the same person who posted previously soliciting stories about people in the forum and you refused to provide information about your purpose in asking for the information... Whether you are that person or not, this will be your final warning about posting these kinds of inquiries on the forum without explanation of motive...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#4 Steve37

Steve37

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

I am simply trying to further understand problems individuals experience using computer monitoring software. There seems to be a lot people selling the software, but does the software work. I am trying to understand problems identifying the software once it is installed. I am also trying to understand problems installing the software. It seems any virus detection program should be able to identify computer monitoring software in seconds once it is installed and the software would be worthless. Are victimsí virus detection programs not able to identify this particular genre of computer monitoring software? I hoped your forum would be able to shed some light on the problems and would be familiar with this specialized area of software. You may not like it, I do not like it, and have spent days on the problem. Some may see it as "vicious" but there are many families and employers buying the software to monitor kids, partners (spouses), and employees. I am simply trying to understand if the software works and ways to deal with the software from a group that should be dealing with it everyday. To be able to effectively remove malware it is very helpful to understand how the software is being installed on a computer, i.e. USB port, and where the software is coming from.

#5 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

No doubt some of those programs work. There are a number of them and they would normally be installed from the developer's site. More info at http://monitoring-so...tenreviews.com/

They are not targeted by antivirus programs because they are not considered malware and are often deliberately installed. Antivirus programs have no way to tell whether the installation was intentional.

Unintentional installation via USB or CD/DVD can be prevented by disabling autorun. See http://lifehacker.co...malware-threats
UNITE

#6 Steve37

Steve37

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

Thanks for some input. I would like to hear and see examples of communications (emails, chats, voice over internet protocol (VOIP), and/or instant messaging) obtained with any of the computer monitoring software listed on the site you referred since it is the same site I started my review.

You state the software "would normally be installed from the developer's site" which means it has to be downloaded by the victim's computer without the victim's knowledge?

Exactly, I was surprised after all the money spent on Symantec, Norton, etc. that these malware identification programs could not notify a user that someone had installed spyware on their computer probably via a USB port and everyday the software was sending information about their computer activity to some site that only the third party spier could access since they paid the software developer. The above limitations of malware detection software is a whole other problem. The above realization leads to the next question of how are victims determining they have had computer monitoring software installed on their computer? I still cannot determine if the computer monitoring software stores communications on a victim's computer that a third party can access via a USB port when the victim leaves?

Good idea to disable Autorun, but I can not determine if this will disable the use of zip drives, external drives, etc?

Edited by Steve37, 29 April 2012 - 06:35 PM.

#7 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

Disabling autorun doesn't disable use. It just keeps external devices from running a program automatically when they get connected to the PC.

You find what is installed on a PC with the usual tools. See Instructions for posting logs for the scans we use.

And yes, malicious installation is usually by a person with either physical access to the PC or remote access via software such as PC Anywhere. But it sometimes happens via malware that downloads and installs it.

May I suggest that Google is your friend? Or the Search button here. The answers to your questions are widely available.
UNITE

#8 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,431 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

And may I suggest that you are giving the same kind of vague answers that you gave the last time... You want information without saying what you intend to do with it... From what I have been able to find out about you on Google, you have done this in reference to other topics and your requests suggest that you are using the information in some way without informing the people you solicit it from... The idea that anyone would provide you with "emails, chats, voice over internet protocol (VOIP), and/or instant messaging" is absurd to me... Without having any idea of who you are or what you want, providing you with any personally identifiable information would be extremely risky... I strongly encourage everyone to ignore that request...
Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#9 Steve37

Steve37

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

Based on the administrators of this site's request and for the public good, I explain my intent in more detail. As I explained, I have spent a bit of time studying computer monitoring software from both users' and victims' points of view. I have found raising issues like these in forums when there is a lot of interest and investigations occurring can result in differing points of view, enhanced knowledge, and further awareness of the problem and other problems. I am sure I still have more to learn also. Occasionally responses will be received from individuals with extensive knowledge and experience. In addition, others that have experienced similar problems can be helped. The information is for my edification, to further verify problems, and I do not plan to do anything with the information. I mentioned "emails, chats, voice over internet protocol (VOIP), and/or instant messaging" only to exemplify the problem. I assumed any anonymous posting would have personal information redacted. I am a concerned citizen. I have found very few computer administrators are aware of the issues with computer monitoring software and dealing with it.

Anyone that has experience with computer monitoring software please post. I noted it seems the usable information obtained from computer monitoring software is very limited also and that is why I specifically mentioned "emails, chats, voice over internet protocol (VOIP), and/or instant messaging".

Edited by Steve37, 30 April 2012 - 05:16 PM.

#10 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

If you want to learn about malware removal in general, Sign up for the Boot Camp or apply to Other training school. There is nothing particularly special about keyloggers and the like, and we do not post details of log interpretation here in public.
UNITE

#11 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,431 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

Based on the administrators of this site's request and for the public good, I explain my intent in more detail. As I explained, I have spent a bit of time studying computer monitoring software from both users' and victims' points of view. I have found raising issues like these in forums when there is a lot of interest and investigations occurring can result in differing points of view, enhanced knowledge, and further awareness of the problem and other problems. I am sure I still have more to learn also. Occasionally responses will be received from individuals with extensive knowledge and experience. In addition, others that have experienced similar problems can be helped. The information is for my edification, to further verify problems, and I do not plan to do anything with the information. I mentioned "emails, chats, voice over internet protocol (VOIP), and/or instant messaging" only to exemplify the problem. I assumed any anonymous posting would have personal information redacted. I am a concerned citizen. I have found very few computer administrators are aware of the issues with computer monitoring software and dealing with it.

Anyone that has experience with computer monitoring software please post. I noted it seems the usable information obtained from computer monitoring software is very limited also and that is why I specifically mentioned "emails, chats, voice over internet protocol (VOIP), and/or instant messaging".

And this doesn't explain that you have posted similar inquiries about topics that are unrelated to malware... It is also either naive or malicious that you say that you assume that that all info would be redacted from emails, etc, since if you really do know anything about software, you know that identifiers are buried in the emails that few people who would give you these materials would know to redact it... Also, you didn't ask "only to exemplify the problem," you asked: "I would like to hear and see examples of communications (emails, chats, voice over internet protocol (VOIP), and/or instant messaging) obtained with any of the computer monitoring software listed on the site you referred since it is the same site I started my review." which seems to suggest that you wish to see the actual emails and so on...

I continue to strongly urge that anyone reading this, other than Steve37, DO NOT provide him with any information and especially not with actual software material from your computer...
Budfred

#12 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:10 AM

Closing topic. We have made our position clear and have said all we are going to.
UNITE

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button