19 replies to this topic

#1 Kosh Vorlon

Kosh Vorlon

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

Hi,

When I try to go to one of the five options available under my name (e.g., Messenger) by clicking on my name (no matter where I am at the time), it flashes the options for about one second and disappears. If I'm really fast, I can sometimes actually click the one I want before it vanishes, but it still doesn't take me there. I know other easy ways to get to profile and settings. I rarely need friends - and also can get there another way. I know what ignore means and can't imagine ever needing to use it. The real issue is Messenger since there seems to be no other way to get to it that I've found.

At the moment, my "workaround" is a second shortcut. So now I have one to take me to the forums and another to take me specifically to Messenger. It's not ideal, but it works. I'd prefer to be able to use the options under my username. It's probably a setting I have wrong or some add-on I don't have. The only other problem I'm having here is that the arrow buttons do not seem to work well for me inside the text boxes (like where I'm typing now). They move the cursor one space and then freeze - but I can live with that. I'm not otherwise having any troubles on this site or on any other site.

I'm using 32-bit Vista Business SP2 and IE9 - both fully updated. I cannot think of any settings which would cause the dropbox to fail like that. I tried logging in just using www.spywareinfoforum.com in the address bar and nothing else and it made no difference. I tried using IE9 with no add-ons and that did not work either. I've cleared all temporary files not only with the option in IE, but also with that option in CCleaner (no, I'd never use the Registry cleaner functions of that program) as well as Old Timer's TFC to get all temp files.

Even if a different browser worked, I'd still never use it instead of IE9 on a day-to-day basis so I haven't checked.

Since nobody else appears to be complaining, I imagine I'm going to be told it has something to do with my system somehow. Then again, I recently discovered Microsoft Attack Surface Analyzer V1 released last week presented a certificate verification error but when reported it was determined to be a bug that applied ONLY to Vista SP2 (and it was 100% reproduceable).

My computer cannot be upgraded to W7 or W8 due to hardware incompatibility and I'm not in a financial position to buy a new one at this time (and would prefer to wait for newer models made after the release of the final version of W8 and thus as compatible as possible and included with the purchase) - especially when these are the only issues I'm having and it otherwise does everything I need as fast as I really need it to work.

Does anyone have any ideas or are two shortcuts with notification alerts set to tell me if new messages arrive (and the notice in the website gets me to the Messenger page - but obviously only the first time since a new message notification appears only once) the only reasonable choices short of radical changes or deeply intensive troubleshooting?

Thanks for any assistance or advice you can provide.

Kosh
Kosh. MVP-Consumer Security. MCSE, MCSA, Network+, A+, MCC2011, MCP Vista/XP.
Nothing is ever hopeless or impossible!

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

I'm not surer what the problem is. There is a dropdown menu under your name. Are you saying that the menu appears only briefly? It stays up for me.

Perhaps you have a script blocker installed? If so, tell it to allow scripts from here.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 nasdaq

nasdaq

Forum Deity

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49,258 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

If all fails. Lower your cookies setting.

Delete all the Cookies associated with this forum and start over.
nasdaq

Favorite tools: [ SpywareBlaster ] [ Spybot ] [ AdAware ] [ HijackThis ]
[ Housecall online virus scan ] [ Bitdefender online virus scan ]
[ AVG antivirus ] [ Sunbelt Personal Firewall ] [ ZoneAlarm firewall ]

My help is free, but if we have helped you in anyway,please considerDonating ,
see this topic for details.
We need members like you.

========
Shouldn't water be worth more than diamonds?
Adam Smith Glasgow, 1760

#4 Kosh Vorlon

Kosh Vorlon

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

I'm not surer what the problem is. There is a dropdown menu under your name. Are you saying that the menu appears only briefly? It stays up for me.

Perhaps you have a script blocker installed? If so, tell it to allow scripts from here.

Briefly is an overstatement. It flashes for a second. It certainly does not stay up. And even when flashing, if I manage to highlight Messenger (or anything else) and click it before it disappears, it does not work.

I have no script blockers installed (and a variety of scripts work fine on other sites though there are all types of scripts so I'm not sure to which type you are referring); however, to be sure it wasn't an IE setting, I changed every entry in Security and Advanced to either enable or prompt for every possible script-related control. I removed any that were set to disabled even if I know better and will be setting them back as they were very shortly and I'm not really safe as they are now configured. In any event, the problem persists.

Thanks for the reply and the idea. If possible, what else on this site that I can get to uses that same type of script so I can see if it works or also fails - then we'll know whether or not scripts are the issue.

Kosh

#5 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

I haven't found the code to look at, but it would be either PHP or Javascript. I imagine all the dropdowns are similar.

Go to the bottom of this page where you will see a "Go" with a dropdown menu to the left of it. Does that one work?
UNITE

#6 Kosh Vorlon

Kosh Vorlon

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

If all fails. Lower your cookies setting.

Delete all the Cookies associated with this forum and start over.

Right now it's set to allow 1st & 3rd party cookies and to override site cookie settings - which should allow maximum cookie usage. Are you saying I should LOWER it to, for example, remove 3rd party cookies as an option or such?

I'll try clearing obvious cookies from this site and starting over again in a while and report back - but I have to get some other things done for a while.

Thanks for the suggestion and the idea. I appreciate the assistance (and hope that does the trick).

#7 Kosh Vorlon

Kosh Vorlon

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

I haven't found the code to look at, but it would be either PHP or Javascript. I imagine all the dropdowns are similar.

Go to the bottom of this page where you will see a "Go" with a dropdown menu to the left of it. Does that one work?

Yes, that one works just fine. I found a few other dropdowns and all I saw worked. The only one giving me trouble that I could find is the one with my name that leads to the five places. It's too bad there's no other way to get to Messenger (other than a separate shortcut) as seems to be possible for the other four choices.

Thank you.

#8 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

That single one that doesn't work for you is the only one with a colored background. I'll look for the source code or CSS. (This will take a while).
UNITE

#9 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

I don't see anything in the code or CSS that doesn't look totally generic - i.e. independent of your SWI settings and your browser configuration. I suggest looking in your antimalware programs' logs for indication of blocking.
UNITE

#10 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,520 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

Did you click on your own name?? That should take you to your profile and you may be able to reach your Messenger from there...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#11 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:41 PM

Clicking your name won't take you there, but clicking on your avatar will (to the left of your name).
UNITE

#12 Kosh Vorlon

Kosh Vorlon

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:41 PM

Did you click on your own name?? That should take you to your profile and you may be able to reach your Messenger from there...

Yes I can get to my profile several ways but I don't see how that helps.

How do I get to Messenger from there? I can't see how to get there from my profile or anywhere other than the dropbox that doesn't work. There's no button or tab or link or anything to get to Messenger. The only way I can do it is with a special shortcut created when I received a PM which allowed me to get in using the notification. Now I can use that to send a PM or otherwise view and manage them and use the notification to get to it only if I receive one.

Oh, and I use MSE and it hasn't blocked anything since before I registered. I'm not even sure it would block something like this anyway. There's also nothing related anywhere in the Event Viewer.

Thanks everyone for the assistance.

Kosh

Edited by Kosh Vorlon, 12 August 2012 - 10:44 PM.

#13 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,520 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:54 PM

Clicking your name won't take you there, but clicking on your avatar will (to the left of your name).

Clicking on your name will also take you to your profile...

As for how to get there from your profile, my thought is to try the drop down from there since it might be more stable from your profile... However, if it didn't work, it won't work... :)

It is fairly certain to be something about your configuration since others have not complained of the same problem...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#14 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:02 PM

Please run Chrome.
Does the dropdown menu work with Chrome? If not:
Right click on your name and select "Inspect element".
That will show you what is sent to your browser.
Take a screen shot of the HTML, ending above FOOTER.
(See How to create and attach a screen shot).
Click the 'X' top right of the HTML frame to exit from "Inspect element".
UNITE

#15 NonSuch

NonSuch

Spyware Eradicator!

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

Normally, I use Firefox and have never had a problem with any of the menus on this site, but I decided to see what would happen if I used IE9. ;)

I was able to duplicate the problem using IE9 on Windows 7; however, I was able to quickly resolve the problem simply by adding spywareinfoforum.com to the list of sites to be viewed in Compatibility View.

Worked like a charm.

#16 Kosh Vorlon

Kosh Vorlon

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

Please run Chrome.
Does the dropdown menu work with Chrome? If not:
Right click on your name and select "Inspect element".
That will show you what is sent to your browser.
Take a screen shot of the HTML, ending above FOOTER.
(See How to create and attach a screen shot).
Click the 'X' top right of the HTML frame to exit from "Inspect element".

It worked fine in Chrome. I've attached the relevant screenshot (I hope) in case you want to pursue what seems like some kind of bug now that it's been confirmed by someone else, so it isn't just me. Using compatibility mode as recommended by NoSuch worked like a charm and I'm now fine.

Thanks for all your help with this. I'm sorry I didn't think about that myself, but to be honest, I've never needed to use Compatibility Mode for any other site (or anything in any other product for that matter), so it simply never occurred to me.

Attached Files

#17 Kosh Vorlon

Kosh Vorlon

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:04 PM

Normally, I use Firefox and have never had a problem with any of the menus on this site, but I decided to see what would happen if I used IE9. Posted Image

I was able to duplicate the problem using IE9 on Windows 7; however, I was able to quickly resolve the problem simply by adding spywareinfoforum.com to the list of sites to be viewed in Compatibility View.

Worked like a charm.

Thanks so much! It did work like a charm.

Kosh

#18 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

Normally, I use Firefox and have never had a problem with any of the menus on this site, but I decided to see what would happen if I used IE9. ;)

Worked like a charm.

Thanks for clearing this up, NonSuch! :)

I'd think if C.V. is needed here it would be needed for that menu in any forum using Invision IPB 3, such as UNITE.
UNITE

#19 NonSuch

NonSuch

Spyware Eradicator!

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:07 PM

Worked like a charm.

Thanks for clearing this up, NonSuch! :)

I'd think if C.V. is needed here it would be needed for that menu in any forum using Invision IPB 3, such as UNITE.

You're very welcome. :)

I would think you're right about the same issue arising elsewhere with IPB 3. In fact, we've experienced similar IE9 issues at MWR where we use phpBB, though it hasn't occurred with menus. It happens.

#20 mikey

mikey

Advanced Member

• Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

Curious;

Just from observation, I've been assuming that the current IE9 blocks at least some HTML5 specs by default now even tho it was introduced with full support. I guess I should look it up but does anyone know if my assumption is correct? Is it possible that MS saw too much vulnerability in the works?

EDIT; sp

Edited by mikey, 29 August 2012 - 08:53 AM.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button