Stolen Harddrive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wynmill

wynmill

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:37 PM

This forum has helped me numerous times so here goes. Again thanks to CNM and Nasdaq for past repairs. My XP computer took a lightning surge during check disk and wouldn't boot. Took it to two computer repair shops and end result was that one of the shops stole the hard drive. Probably had numerous problems but they showed me 4 swollen capacitors and one blown. While inspecting these, I found the missing hard drive. Computer would be useless withjout the hard drive so I got a new one. Both shops have one owner and one tech so it is and has been two against one. Police say civil suit only with affadavits from one or the other shop. I'm pretty sure who stole it since first shop asked the right questions and second shop did not. It was 160Meg I'm assuming the hard drive's only value is for the data, evidently for identity theft? Anyone ran into this problem and what should I do?

Second question is this forum's opinion of free anti virus for Win 7 64 bit. Previously used Armor with XP and avast and loved both. Currently using the free Norton for 60 days and it's cumbersome, pat on it's own back philosophy. Thanks in advance for any ideas or opinions.

W

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

Hello wynmill.

It was 160Meg

Do you really mean 160 Meg? I don't think they even make them that small any more. It would be pretty much worthless since you can get 160 G for less than $100 - http://www.newegg.co...leAdwords-_-Har. (160 G is 1,000 times as large as 160 Meg).

So I wouldn't go into combat mode. Tell them it seems to have been misplaced. Ask them to keep an eye out for it since you would like to get the data from it if possible.

Note that it probably would not be possible to get the data. The drive crashed, became unbootable, and probably has damaged sectors. There are data recovery services that might conceivably be able to retrieve some of the data but those services are expensive.

As for antivirus: I have Avast and have been very pleased with it. Norton has been known to cause problems and I'd stay away from it.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 wynmill

wynmill

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

Are there any special settings I should use for windows 7 firewall? Remember reading once that this forum considered 7 firewall very good.

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,526 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

If the hard drive contained information that you believe could be used to steal your identity, it would be a good idea to change all account information that might have been stored on it...

Was it really only 160 Meg??

Usually Windows Security Center will recognize that you have an antivirus installed and make any needed adjustments... Unless you install a different firewall, it won't do anything much with those settings...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button