#1 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

http://blog.malwareb...d-any-download/

Various download sites have been plastering ads all over their pages for years, some of which are just for other types of software and some of them are for services. However, a new trend among these ads has emerged, adding an extra download button where there should not be one. Many users have been falling for this simple trick of putting in a big and shiny download button in ads as a method of tricking people into clicking it when they try to download the file they want.

It is really easy to be distracted by a large wrong download button. Take a hard look at what you are about to click.

In general it is always best to download a program from the developer's own site.
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#2 Mrbiggbrain

Mrbiggbrain

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

http://blog.malwarebytes.org/intelligence/2012/10/pick-a-download-any-download/

Various download sites have been plastering ads all over their pages for years, some of which are just for other types of software and some of them are for services. However, a new trend among these ads has emerged, adding an extra download button where there should not be one. Many users have been falling for this simple trick of putting in a big and shiny download button in ads as a method of tricking people into clicking it when they try to download the file they want.

It is really easy to be distracted by a large wrong download button. Take a hard look at what you are about to click.

In general it is always best to download a program from the developer's own site.

Yes but with more people developing tools and using sites like Sourceforge there are going to be times where users are confused. I asked one of my friends to download one of my utilities off Sourceforge and he kept telling me it was downloading 7-zip, a great program but not one we wanted. Turns out he kept clicking the download button that shows up on the site to get 7-zip.

Edited by Mrbiggbrain, 20 October 2012 - 11:30 AM.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button