• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jerryc

jerryc

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

My IT friends believe that Dropbox is a gift from the gods and that everyone in our school district should have a Dropbox. I know that any file I put in the "cloud" is at risk. My question is, "How big a risk?" Has anyone used this?
Keep your sunny side up.

- B. DeSylar

#2 ler

ler

SWI Junkie

• Helper Trainee+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:23 AM

In my opinion Dropbox is one of the greatest things on my computers. You'll love it - especially if you have several computers and want to keep some folders/files synchronized. It can be very helpful if you want to share files with your friends as well.

How big is the risk? Hard to tell. Dropbox encrypts the files you store in the cloud - but once a file is on a server in the internet there's always the chance that someone might bypass the security mechanisms and obtain these files.
In the past there had been many incidents in which it was (theoretically?) possible to access other user's private files.

I'd say: Dropbox is useful as it will simplify your life. Do not upload any files that contain sensitive personal data. Rule of thumb: Do not upload any files you would be uncomfortable with finding them freely available on the web some day.

ler

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button