Hyperlinks in web pages

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rayno3

rayno3

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

I would like to know how to disable hyperlinks in web pages when browsing the web. Hyperlinks are fine in emails and in some other places, and sometimes can be very handy. But when I have told my browser to go to a particular web site, it is less than helpful to be expecting the sought for information only to find a large square in the middle of the page I want to see, and I have to do something with it before I can even read the information I searched for. I NEVER follow those links. ALWAYS, I close them as quickly as possible. Sometimes that does not seem possible, so I close the browser and try again. If the same thing occurs again, I stay away from that site.

These links seem to come in at least two flavors. The first is a word either colored or underlined or both. When my cursor goes over that word, a blurb appears over the page I was reading. This kind is less troublesome than the other type because I can avoid them just by keeping my cursor away from those words.

The other type gives me no choice. I go to a web site, and as soon as it is loaded, BANG! There is this large square covering much of what I want to see. As stated above, I am not allowed to do anything else until I get rid of that square.

What is the purpose of such links? If I wanted what they are touting, would I not have searched for that? There are better ways to sell a product or to push an idea.

As you probably guessed, I am a bit irritated by these things. If there is a way to live without such things, PLEASE tell me about it. I thank you very much for any help you can give.

Rayno3

Edited by rayno3, 03 June 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,520 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:38 PM

You seem to be referring to popups and there are a number of different tools that will block them...  Internet Explorer has a certain amount of ability to block them built in...  Firefox and other browsers usually have stronger blocking and often have other add-on programs that you can install to block more...  I use Firefox with NoScripts, Ghostery and a couple of other things that block almost all ads unless I specifically allow them...  It is rare for me to get popups... 

Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 rayno3

rayno3

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

Budfred, you are probably right in that these are pop-ups. The pop-ups I am accustomed to getting are the kind that open a whole new web page with no obvious cue. I never knew they were there until I was closing down. They only appeared when IE closed my home page. Haven't seen one of those in a couple of months.

I am using IE8 with Windows XP, and have it set to always use InPrivate Browsing and Smart Screen Filtering. Pop-up blocker is on, My Firewall is on, plus I am going through a Netgear router. What more do I need to do? I also sometimes use Firefox, but not as my primary browser.

Thank you!

Rayno3

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,520 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

The ones that hide under other pages are called pop-unders and I hate them more than I hate popups...  The only time I use IE is at work and I am not allowed to fiddle with it, so I am not aware of any add-ons that will work with it to block popups or pop-unders...  That doesn't mean there aren't any, it just means that I don't know of any... 

If you already have Firefox, try it with NoScripts and Ghostery...  If that is not sufficient, you can get more add-ons by looking at Security in their list of add-ons...  Some sites are very aggressive is pushing things on you and, if your computer is infected, there is nothing the browser can do to block the ads...  Since you have already posted a topic to check for malware, I suggest dealing with that first and see if that takes out a bunch of the ads... 

Please note that you need to read the Instructions http://www.spywarein...showtopic=79038 and post the other logs we need in order to get help... 

Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button