Superantivirus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chewibl2

chewibl2

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

I got a new laptop, and it has SuperAntiVirus on it.

I used it and it scanned the computer, and found 2 items on it which I removed.

Is this a good anti-virus program, or should I be using something else?

#2 Android 8888

Android 8888

SWI Malware Tracker

• Trusted Advisor*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

Hello chewibl2,

I did a Google search and I didn't find any anti-virus program with that name. I think the program you have is 'SUPERAntiSpyware'. If so, this is not an anti-virus program but an antispyware program. Can you check the real name of the program, please?

Thank you.

Edited by Android 8888, 10 June 2013 - 02:59 PM.

Android 8888

Tavira - Here's where I live!

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

Our help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation; Please see This Topic for details.

#3 chewibl2

chewibl2

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

Hi Android,

You are right, my mistake, it is SuperAntiSpyware.

Should I keep using it, or something else?

I see a lot of people here mention Malware Bytes, is that better?

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,466 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) was developed by some of our forum colleagues and I tend to trust it a lot more that SuperAntiSpyware (SA)...  When SA was first introduced, they used some dubious marketing techniques and that seemed really inappropriate for a tool used to fight malware...  That said, it does seem to be okay and generally effective... 

Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#5 Android 8888

Android 8888

SWI Malware Tracker

• Trusted Advisor*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

SuperAntiSpyware (SA) and Malware Bytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) are similar programs that identifies and remove most kinds of malware, but please note that these are not considered anti-virus programs. In general both are effective but like Budfred, I also tend to trust in MBAM a lot more that SA…

If you wish, in order to better understand the different types of threat and how can they attack your computer, I advise you to take a little of your time to read the next topics:

So how did I get infected in the first place?
Stopping Viruses, Worms and Trojan Horses

Edited by Android 8888, 13 June 2013 - 01:07 PM.

Android 8888

Tavira - Here's where I live!

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

Our help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation; Please see This Topic for details.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button