Photo

PDFlite (converts mobi to pdf) highjacked all my files!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 dgcdgc

dgcdgc

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

I wanted to convert a mobi file to a pdf so I could upload it to Amazon's createspace. 

I downloaded pdflite (pdflight.com) - top free software on google search. I pulled up the file and clicked on convert. It did not convert well and the pdf was not useable. When I went into my files to open up a file I found ALL my pdf/mobi/epub files had been highjacked by the software and had a pdflite icon on them- they all now show as PDFlite chm under file type.

IS there anyway I can undo this? I uninstalled the software - ran all my security software and restarted my computer. The program no longer shows in my system. But when I went to down load a mobi file from my cloud acct it again redid the file to a pdflitechm file type and it is not useable.

I am using a HP PC with windows 7 installed.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

That site has a very bad reputation: WOT Reputation Scorecard

For our help with cleaning: Please read the Instructions and post the requested logs (MBAM, DDS, Security Check) in a new topic in the Malware Removal forum.. We need the information in order to help you.  Please do not format the logs or enclose them in boxes.  Just copy and paste.

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 dgcdgc

dgcdgc

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:42 PM

I was told that the software was probably NOT cleaned off my computer.  Found that when I uninstalled about all it did was hide itself from the program list.  When I opened up the list in the control panel I found it was still there.  It would not uninstall.  When I tried it kept saying close your browser - but I didn't have any opened.  I took the advise I found on one of your other forums - spyware - cannot uninstall cleanly (and possible malware) 'pdflite'.  The Joker (global moderator) said to download Revo Uninstaller (freeware).  I did that - still didn't uninstall but then when it scanned for "left overs"  it found all the pieces and I just deleted - found all the file extensions it had redone and a click to undo and all my files were back to normal!  Thank you Joker!

#4 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

Very fine.

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button