• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 housema

housema

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:07 PM

Not sure where to post this question, but has anyone encountered problems updating and installing java today.  I've been trying all day to update and/or install and was getting page cannot be displayed.  Tried different browsers, checked to make sure that Java was enabled still no luck. I also tried disabling my antivirus and firewall.   Any suggestions.  Thank you.

It seems that the download is down.  I downloaded the latest version from filehippo. 

Edited by housema, 13 October 2013 - 08:23 AM.

#2 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,476 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

Try downloading the current version form http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp

I recommend using the offline installer as it generally doesn't have any added optional toolbar installation to have to disable.

If you have a 64-bit OS, you should install both the 32 and 64-bit versions

Before you install, uninstall the previous version.

However, because Java has had so many vulnerabilities, if you don't have a program that requires Java, or a web site you visit that requires it, I recommend leaving it uninstalled. Your system will be more secure. If you decide to reinstall, or find that a program or website requires it, you can always reinstall it.

If you do need it for a program (but have no website that requires it), you can make it more secure when you browse by going to the Java Control Panel (Start > Control Panel > Java), selecting the Security tab, and UNchecking the box for "Enable Java content in the browser". Don't do that if you have a website that requires it.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#3 housema

housema

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:50 PM

Thank you for responding;  I did delete Java and so far so good.  I have had no problems surfing the web, and I do not use any programs that require Jave.   

#4 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,476 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:00 AM

With the number of vulnerabilities that Java has had, your system will be more secure without it.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button