5 replies to this topic

#1 Android 8888

Android 8888

SWI Malware Tracker

• Trusted Advisor*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:58 AM

Here is a very interesting new technology, which could be relevant in malware fighting, concerning to the smartphones...

The Skorpion is a charger that promises to analyze and identify malware smartphone while recharging the battery.

Source: MIT Technology Review

Android 8888

Tavira - Here's where I live!

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

Our help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation; Please see This Topic for details.

#2 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The Magician

• Trusted Advisor*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:24 AM

Seems like it could have some potential. I am not overly familiar with smartphone malware but as there are so many accessories and different types of chargers etc it doesn't come as a surprise that people would try to infect you through those means.

If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal...you become something else entirely. A legend, Mr. Wayne, a legend!

If I have helped you please consider donating to help keep this forum running; see this topic for more details.

unite_zpse83e3a16.gif

#3 Android 8888

Android 8888

SWI Malware Tracker

• Trusted Advisor*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

It is not through the charger that the smartphone is infected. The smartphone is infected in the same way through the data transmission normally from the infected apps. The charger will provide antivirus and the great advantage according to the company is that it is physically separated from the smartphone with no chance of infection, since there is no data transmission between the charger and the smartphone. The charger will only scan the smartphone searching for infections. This is my understanding of what I read in the article...

Android 8888

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

Our help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation; Please see This Topic for details.

#4 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

It is not through the charger that the smartphone is infected.

You sure?

- Public Charging Stations Could Steal iPhone Data
- Researchers reveal how to hack an iPhone in 60 seconds

:)
c18903e63196580f.gif

snemelk.hekko.pl - - my site with a few computer security tips...
Silesia - that's where I live!

"If I had some duct tape, I could fix that." - MacGyver

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

#5 Android 8888

Android 8888

SWI Malware Tracker

• Trusted Advisor*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:35 AM

This surprises me snemelk. It is about public charging stations but the MIT article is not very clear about it. Do these stations have great demand? It seems that you must enter a passcode after plug in the phone to allow a sign-code attack. What kind of passcode is this? Is it related with the phone standard passcode or is it needed when plug in the charger?

As I read in the end of the article from your first link, I think it is better to rely with our own charging equipment...  :think:

Android 8888

#6 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

It means a standard passcode:

From the 2nd link: "The researchers said that all the user needs to do to start the attack is enter their passcode - they pointed out that this is a pattern of ordinary use, such as to check a message while the phone is charging."

As I read in the end of the article from your first link, I think it is better to rely with our own charging equipment...  :think:

For example solar-powered! :lol:

Do public charging stations have a great demand? I'm not sure, but there are certain places where they're common - for example on airports...
c18903e63196580f.gif

snemelk.hekko.pl - - my site with a few computer security tips...
Silesia - that's where I live!

"If I had some duct tape, I could fix that." - MacGyver

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button