return computer to factory condition

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Agentxk150

Agentxk150

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:54 AM

I have a windows 7 computer I just aquired from my parents. It clearly has issues and I want to start from scratch. Will a system restore do this or am I stuck with doing it a harder way?

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,466 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:23 AM

If you wish to restore a computer to factory conditions, you generally need to wipe the hard drive and install the system again...  However, it is quite likely that the computer has a compressed copy of the install software on the hard drive, so you will need to protect that and use it for the reinstall...  If you are suggesting that it is heavily infected, it is at least possible that the hidden partition with the install software is also infected, so if you have disks that were made when the computer was new or you have original Win7 disks, you are more likely to have a safe copy... 

If you wish to avoid this and save data on the drive, you can post in Malware Removal with logs and see if the computer is likely to be cleanable...  Read the Instructions http://www.spywarein...showtopic=79038 and post logs with some explanation of the systems...  Do not post them in this topic, since malware removal is not done in this subforum...

Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 Agentxk150

Agentxk150

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:58 AM

Thanks a lot, alot has changed since I worked with computers alot(dos and windows 95) but I should figure it out fast. I thought my parents had lost the system disks but I will look for the copy on the drive and follow the steps to clean that partition. Should I clean the hidden partion before I reinstall?

#4 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

Usually "return to factory condition" will be an option on the boot menu. Hit F8 several times while booting to get the boot menu.  However it may vary depending on the make and model of the PC.

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button