• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ktze Hut

Ktze Hut

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:16 AM

Hi All,

This is my first post on SWI. Thanks for the work you do and your engagement  :)

With family and friends each possessing numerous devices with flash memory that connect via USB (smartphones, mp3 players, tablets, flash drives...), and these devices moving through various PCs and laptops, I see malware constantly being passed around.

What do you recommend as specific protection?

I've looked at: MCShield, Panda Vaccine, No Autorun, BitDefender Immunizer. Are there any differences between them? 

I understand they disable autorun.inf on the flash drive. Do they do anything else?

If a flash drive has been infected, and the contagious file quarantined by a reputable anti-virus (Avast, NOD32, etc...), do you consider it then safe to transfer between machines?

Any other issues or considerations I should be aware of?

Ktze

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

Hello Ktze Hut. Welcome to the forum.

Ask Leo has an article: How do I remove a virus from a memory card? where he suggests copying any data you want to keep and formatting the card.  That is sensible.

Be careful what you copy (copy only data files that you know to be clean and do not copy any executable files).  Scan them again after copying before you copy them back to the formatted card..

I assume you are speaking of Android devices.  There are a number of antimalware apps for Android.

See http://www.digitaltr...-security-apps/

I don't personally know any of them but all the ones mentioned should be fine. Also have a look at Malwarebytes mobileReview

They all do more than disable autorun.inf but that is an important thing to do.

Other considerations: if you use WiFi, note that public WiFi can be dangerous.  You can get a small portable router for traveling.  They are not very expensive - mostly around $35.

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 Ktze Hut

Ktze Hut

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

Hi cnm,

Thanks for the useful info!

I read about your boot camp program - is it still running?

#4 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

Yes, we're still training anti-malware helpers. http://www.spywarein...lware-training/

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button