#1 mikey

mikey

Advanced Member

• Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

Ref; https://www.eff.org/...membering-aaron

Remembering Aaron Swartz...a man literally persecuted to death by a gov.

Edited by Budfred, 12 January 2014 - 09:15 PM.
To remove unfounded inflammatory comment...

#2 mikey

mikey

Advanced Member

• Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:05 AM

Edited by Budfred, Yesterday, 10:15 PM.
To remove unfounded inflammatory comment...

Hey Budfred, been a while. How are ya?

"unfounded"?

Sorry if I used the wrong word. I didn't know another word to describe a gov that acts as a totalitarian police state owned by special interest puppeteers. And as for unfounded; I'd be happy to relate my reasoning as well as the 'findings' to support it. :)

Of course, the truth may be something you are a bit tired of seeing now.

BTW, OT, & on a personal note; What happened here? This site was originally founded to help folks with spyware...to help folks maintain their human right to privacy in the age of networking. I guess that goal fell away at some point for some reason. So I ask; Do you have any objection to my discussing methods and techniques here to help users maintain their online privacy? It's been a long time since such was routine here. Do you guys still care about such things? No big deal, there are plenty of places around that do care about such things.

Also BTW; Happy new year...hope you guys had a good holiday.

#3 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,468 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

Seems like a political view, that doesn't agree that breaking the law is a criminal offense. Computer security laws need to be both updated, and strengthened.

Edited by TheJoker, 13 January 2014 - 11:23 PM.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,468 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

mikey,

You have posted a number of posts which seem to be aimed at generating arguments and stating opinions as facts...  This is a forum for fighting malware - if you want to fight with people, there are lots of forums that will invite that...  Calling our government names is not discussion, it is ranting...  I saw nothing in that article to suggest that the person you reference was driven to death by the government, it didn't even say how he died...  I also don't see any evidence that he furthered the cause of fighting malware criminals which is the purpose of this forum...  Please go elsewhere if you wish to generate argument or simply rant...  Any more of this and I will close this topic... 

By the way, I thought my editing was very generous since I didn't remove the unsupported accusation that is central to the post - I have shown further restraint by not editing out most of you second post regarding "totalitarian" "puppeteers" and so on...  You can choose to interpret our motives any way you wish - we are committed to helping people maintain control of their computers and personal privacy...  We are not here to debate what are clearly political topics which have true believers on both sides and will usually descend into a variety of rageful arguments if allowed to continue...  Again, there are many forums that relish that kind of thing and this is not one of them... 

Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#5 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:19 PM

I do remember Aaron.   A great loss.

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#6 mikey

mikey

Advanced Member

• Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:27 AM

A great loss.

Indeed.

I didn't know him well. Fact is, I only had one lengthy conversation with him some yrs ago but he left a lasting impression. He seemed very much the idealist...someone who thought the world could be a better place.

Hey Budfred, you are right. I am looking for a fight. As you know, I've been fighting the snakes that want to invade my personal space for a long time now. My deepest and most sinceerest wish is for the entire planet to join in with this fight.

#7 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,468 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:08 PM

Hey Budfred, you are right. I am looking for a fight. As you know, I've been fighting the snakes that want to invade my personal space for a long time now. My deepest and most sinceerest wish is for the entire planet to join in with this fight.

Any yet you know that the type of fight that is more likely is a huge argument between those who agree with your views on one extreme from those who disagree on the other extreme...  As I said, this is not that kind of forum...  You offered an invitation for people to remember this person and used that to offer your opinion about the government...  In my mind that dishonors him and appears to be intended to bring on a political debate instead of a memorial to the person you claim to admire... 

Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#8 mikey

mikey

Advanced Member

• Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

Really?

The first memorial was a yr ago after the malicious prosecution/persecution destroyed his life. I didn't write the EFF article but I think this remembrance is more intended to be about reminding folks about his life and the atrocious gov behavior that befell him and made life impossible for him to continue.

I think it also memorializes him to make sure that these type atrocities don't occur anymore. From what I know about him, I think he'd be somewhat pleased to see folks carrying on in his name.

Political? Well if fighting a tyrannical gov is politics, then I suppose it is. But it's not about red vs blue...it's about Americans and and the world standing against a vicious and corrupt/lawless gov (there is no adherence to the constitution anymore...our highest law) that has sold out the American people to the very same type snakes the pri/sec community has long fought against.

"As I said, this is not that kind of forum..."

That's pretty sad considering that this community was founded on the debate of privacy issues. I guess it's now no wonder why this community is so dead now.

For those folks who happen across this thread and still care about basic human rights and freedoms; There is related material and links to more sites where the fight continues found in the link above and at every well known watch-dog group. Either the EFF or the ACLU can provide a good start for folks to take action.

Just a few suggestions for those who wish to help;

Vote and campaign.
Sign petitions/write letters.
Support your fav watchdog groups.
Help organize protests around the globe.
Use your mouth.

EDIT: sp

Edited by mikey, 15 January 2014 - 11:01 AM.

#9 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,468 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

Vote and campaign - for stronger laws and enforcement against cyber related crime
Sign petitions/write letters.- for stronger laws and enforcement against cyber related crime
Support your fav watchdog groups.- for cyber protection awareness
Help organize protests around the globe - for stronger and more updated cyber protection laws
Use your mouth - and get your representatives know you want stronger and updated cyber protection laws, and actual enforcement

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#10 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,468 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

mikey,

This forum has always been dedicated to fighting malware - not to each individual's arguments about "privacy rights"...  You have strong opinions about what you believe is right or wrong, including your endorsement of taking copyrighted material...  This forum has never supported that and is extremely unlikely to ever do so...  Maybe the fact that we don't let people treat each other badly is why we are not as busy as we used to be or maybe it is just like all of the other forums which haven't been as busy...  Regardless, we are not open to allowing vicious argument about political beliefs...

Responding to your comments seems to allow you to continue making more slanderous comments as though they are facts - which they are not...  I am closing this topic rather than allowing that to continue...  I will nuke any new topics which include these types of unfounded attacks since you appear to be unwilling to respect the limits of this forum...  Please take your opinions to people who welcome them... 

Budfred

#11 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:45 PM

mikey, old friend.  I thought you'd mellowed out?  Actually this forum was founded by Mike not so much to fight malware as to protect people's privacy.  No spyware allowed to live! Mike would be horrified by NSA spying. 

That said - I agree with Budfred that we don't want to get into political wrangles and other uproars.

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button