• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rl153

rl153

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:05 PM

I talked to a few people ,who said windows XP computers are going to be vulnerable now that microsoft is no longer going to support them. I don't want to get a new computer, what advice can you give me to keep my computer functioning well. Its running good now .Thanks!

#2 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,475 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:58 AM

Once Microsoft drops support in April for Windows XP, the system will become more vulnerable as your copy of Windows will no longer be updated to correct newly identified vulnerabilities. The best advice would be to upgrade to Windows 7. Failing that, the best option would be similar to the advice we give people when finished with their logs on best security practices.

To help keep malware off your system:

• Never run your system without a good antivirus program. If you don't have one, there is Avast! Free AntiVirus or Avira Free AntiVirus.
  • For Windows XP, run a software firewall like Comodo Firewall Free or Privatefirewall; the firewall in Windows XP doesn't protect you from unauthorized outgoing programs,
  • Keep your applications updated, there are vulnerabilities that rely on exploits through other programs like Java, Microsoft Office, Adobe Reader, Flash, and others.
  • Run a program like Secunia Online Software Inspector or FileHippo Update Checker to see what programs need to be updated.
  • Be careful with flash drives, as they can spread infections. See this post on USB/flash drive safety.
  • Stay away from P2P software; even with a clean P2P program, their networks are often riddled with malware, and it's often the newest and hardest to remove.
  • Don't click on attachments or links in e-mail, and read your e-mail in text-only mode for the highest safety.
  • If you receive a spam e-mail, don't open it, just delete it without opening it.
  • Don't click on links received in instant message programs.
  • In place of Internet Explorer, browse with Firefox with the NoScript and AdBlock Plus add-ons.
  • A HOSTS file will prevent Internet Explorer from communicating with sites known to be associated with adware or spyware. A good regularly updated HOST file is MVPS HOSTS File, available at http://www.mvps.org/...p2002/hosts.htm
  • A free non-resident utility to prevent the installation of ActiveX-based malware is JavaCool's SpywareBlaster available at http://www.javacools...m/products.html
  • I recommend reading Tony Klein's article So How did I get Infected in the First Place? at http://www.spywarein...showtopic=60955

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#3 rl153

rl153

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

Thanks, I appreciate that!

#4 screen317

screen317

SWI Sentinel

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,814 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

Alternatively, you could upgrade to Windows 7; it is less costly than it used to be. For example:

http://www.digisofts...oad-_p_228.html

$68.99

Please consider donating to help support the continued prompt and excellent services of this site.

#5 rl153

rl153

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:05 AM

Is there a chance that if I'm careful and don't go to strange websites ,xp will continue to function ok?

#6 snemelk

snemelk

inżynier

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

Is there a chance that if I'm careful and don't go to strange websites ,xp will continue to function ok?

You might want to read these articles:
- Microsoft predicts bleak future for XP users after patches run out
- What to do after Windows XP dies in April 2014?
c18903e63196580f.gif

snemelk.hekko.pl - - my site with a few computer security tips...
Silesia - that's where I live!

"If I had some duct tape, I could fix that." - MacGyver

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see this topic for details.

#7 rl153

rl153

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

Thanks, those articles are very helpful

#8 rl153

rl153

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:44 PM

If I keep running XP after the deadline , and I have a problem, can this forum still help me fix it? Thanks!

#9 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,475 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:13 PM

Of course we would assist with cleaning. However, realize also there is the potential that once Microsoft drops support for XP, other software publishers could do the same, and updated versions of some products might no longer support XP.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#10 Mojo81

Mojo81

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:50 PM

My laptops cooling fan died last weekend..so im tyring to set up an older tower for the moment until i can buy/or build my new one.
.but sadly all i have for it is xp..and ive tryed getting to window updating  site to update up to the last received
patch's and sp's .but cant..
is there anyway to get those without spending money on some scam program out there?
  also when i was checking my windows firewall settings i found somthing called  pmropn.exe  had found its way to my exception list i have unchecked it  for the moment but wanted to find more info on it which is what actuly   led me her to your site. when i googled it..a bunch of virus alert links poped up..is this a virus? if so how do i get rid of it?

C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Sellfire\My Documents\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: ArcPluginIEBHO - {84BFE29A-8139-402a-B2A4-C23AE9E1A75F} - C:\Program Files\Arc\Plugins\ArcPluginIE.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpyHunter Security Suite] "C:\Program Files\Enigma Software Group\SpyHunter\SpyHunter4.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Arc] C:\Program Files\Arc\ArcLauncher.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dellsupportcenter] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P dellsupportcenter
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] stsystra.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CCleaner Monitoring] "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /MONITOR
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSystemDetect] C:\Documents and Settings\Sellfire\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\1EYNKDN6.YGK\T3MZGOC3.ZPG\dell..tion_e30b47f5d4a30e9e_0005.000e_4ab3a7332dd76702\DellSystemDetect.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.dell.com
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1422662299156
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: 0
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Mozilla Maintenance Service (MozillaMaintenance) - Mozilla Foundation - C:\Program Files\Mozilla Maintenance Service\maintenanceservice.exe
O23 - Service: SupportSoft Sprocket Service (DellSupportCenter) (sprtsvc_DellSupportCenter) - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SpyHunter 4 Service - Enigma Software Group USA, LLC. - C:\Program Files\Enigma Software Group\SpyHunter\SH4Service.exe
O23 - Service: Steam Client Service - Valve Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe

--
End of file - 4221 bytes

when i ran Hijack this this is the log file that comes up..im sure most of it is generic usage.. like my ccleaner  and spyhunter..  there is some oddities like BHO up at the top i wasnt sure about..  the Arc  stuff is from the the newer PWI clinet they have introduced..kind of like steam..  if somone could glance threw and see if there is anything that might be related to this pmropn.exe  .. it really has me buffled.

#11 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,519 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:05 PM

My laptops cooling fan died last weekend..so im tyring to set up an older tower for the moment until i can buy/or build my new one.
.but sadly all i have for it is xp..and ive tryed getting to window updating  site to update up to the last received
patch's and sp's .but cant..
is there anyway to get those without spending money on some scam program out there?
  also when i was checking my windows firewall settings i found somthing called  pmropn.exe  had found its way to my exception list i have unchecked it  for the moment but wanted to find more info on it which is what actuly   led me her to your site. when i googled it..a bunch of virus alert links poped up..is this a virus? if so how do i get rid of it?

Please open a topic in Malware Removal and post the logs we request here:  http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/index.php?showtopic=79038 

Even if you have XP, the HJT logs are just not that helpful now...  If you wish to post your HJT log in your topic, please include the header information or it will not be useful...

Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button