No replies to this topic

#1 AwesomeLife

AwesomeLife

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

A few things from the "field"...

On a Win 8 machine which I hadn't booted up in a while, the paid program ninite cautioned me I had programs needing updating...

...so I carefully selected which programs I wanted to update...

SURPRISE! 

Somewhere, "sweet search" browser hijacker had hitched a ride...I'd noticed it in firefox as an addition to my search engines...and could not remove it...

CORRECTION: I believe it was "sweet packs", not "sweet search"...

At about the same time, MalWareBytes was running it's nightly scan and found about a dozen or so "PUPs"...told MWB to get rid of them...and that seemed to be the end of that.

(Alas, shortly after that, the computer itself died of complications due to battery problems (or possibly MoBo)...it had been running a bit hot...sigh. And I've somehow misplaced my receipt for warrantee repair.  Sigh. Otherwise I would have happily submitted it here to get cleaned...)

SECONDLY...

I downloaded the "free" version of Avast (since I have a license)...on my other win 8 machine (which I had just reset, after doing something stupid after it crashed...) ...

It wanted to know if I wanted to install Google Chrome and the Google Toolbar!!!

I guess everyone's getting into the picture on this ...

(and yes, I do seem to have my fair share of computer problems...argh.)

Keep Smilin'!

Ann

Edited by AwesomeLife, 08 April 2014 - 03:11 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adware, free downloads, undesired installations

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button