Spybot Search and Destroy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WhatKnot

WhatKnot

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:29 PM

With all respect and appreciation to those who spent good and selfless time and effort in developing these programs; I'm asking if there is  any compeling reason to upgrade to version 2.2. I am currentlly running v 1.6.2. Additionally; is SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster still effective and relevent?

I've been running these programs, which were recomended by this site, for years. Thank you.

Edited by WhatKnot, 25 April 2014 - 07:12 PM.

#2 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,468 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:15 AM

I can't comment on Spybot Search and Destroy, as I switched to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware a long time ago, but I still use SpywareBlaster on all my systems. It's updated monthly, and works with multiple browsers.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#3 WhatKnot

WhatKnot

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

With all due respect, I will ask this question one last time -  is Spy Bot S&D still relevant. I currenty have running, real time, Malewarebytes (paid), Eset Smart Security and Spyware Blaster. Any CPU overhead that can be prudently eliminated is a good thing.Thank you.

Edited by WhatKnot, 10 July 2014 - 06:42 PM.

#4 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,468 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:24 AM

If you are running the paid version of MBAM with real time protection, I would disable Spybot Search & Destroy and only use it as an on-demand scanner as it's providing essentially the same type of protection as MBAM.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button