AplusWebMaster

• SWI Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,104 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:34 PM

FYI...

Patching the future: How Microsoft can make Windows 9 simpler
- http://www.infoworld...-simpler-245624
July 07, 2014 - "With Windows 8.1 Update -2- Version 1.0 apparently poised for release in next month's batch of Black Tuesday patches, it's time for Microsoft to reflect on the needlessly confusing state of Windows patching and set a simple, coherent course for "Threshold" - the next point-zero release of Windows...  Bruzzese nailed it with his article* "Windows 9: The empire's last hope". If Microsoft bungles this evolution of "Threshold" as badly as it's messed up Windows 8, I seriously wonder how many people and companies will stick around for Windows 10..."

Microsoft looks to reboot the franchise with a morphing Start-enabled take on the troubled two-faced Windows 8
* http://www.infoworld...ast-hope-245440
July 02, 2014 - "Reviving a franchise is a big deal. They've done it with "Star Trek" and "Spider-Man." They're hoping to do it with "Star Wars." But can Microsoft do it with Windows? As Yoda might say, cloudy the future is. Perhaps you've seen the chatter this week about Windows 9 "coming soon" to a system near you. If Microsoft has learned anything from its "one OS to bind them all" approach, it should know a revival won't likely work in its current form... I strongly believe users want different UIs riding on top of that OS depending on the form factor they choose, whether it be desktop, laptop, or tablet. That's exactly what Windows 9 has to be if Microsoft expects to come raging back..."

:think:  :good:

Edited by AplusWebMaster, 07 July 2014 - 06:05 PM.

.The machine has no brain.
 ......... Use your own.
Browser check for updates here.
YOU need to defend against -all- vulnerabilities.
Hacks only need to find -1- to get in...

#2 AwesomeLife

AwesomeLife

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:59 PM

From my understanding, there's MUCH to like about windows 8 ... more secure in many ways.

However, the metro/modern interface turned off so many people that they end up choosing win 7 over win 8.

It's a good lesson in the power of those first impressions.  A lesson firmly cemented into my psyche when I saw  the findings in a nice. laser-printed report (in the mid 90s) get far more responses than the far more thoroughly researched, but less beautifully printed report.

#3 AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster

• SWI Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,104 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

The numbers here speak volumes:

O/S Market Share - June, 2014

- http://www.netmarket...=10&qpcustomd=0

... I'd say that's a large "thumbs-down" from corporate-type buyers, at least.

:ph34r:

.The machine has no brain.
 ......... Use your own.
Browser check for updates here.
YOU need to defend against -all- vulnerabilities.
Hacks only need to find -1- to get in...

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button