18 replies to this topic

#1 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,530 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:41 AM

This topic was created to ask people for help in bringing more traffic to SpywareInfo...  We have seen a significant drop in utilization over the last few years and this has been true at other forums as well...  However, there are days when we have only 2 or 3 posts in the course of a day...  On some days, we may only have one person asking for help and the other posts are news about malware issues...  We are asking for ideas about how to bring more life back to the forum...  We have some very qualified expert staff here to help with malware removal and assist with other related issues...  Our Boot Camp has trained some of the best malware fighters available and will continue to do so...  For these reasons, we would rather not simply fade into the background...  If you have some ideas, please post them in a Reply to this topic... 

Here are some guidelines:

We will not open the forum for political debates or other arguments that are not really about malware fighting...

We will continue to keep the forum SPAM free - if someone posts SPAM, we will promptly delete it and expel the person posting it...

We will continue to have a family friendly forum, so we will not allow language which would be considered offensive for children to see...

We will continue to be free and available for anyone who wants help with volunteers providing all services...

Other guidelines may be added as we consider what is important to the forum, so please check back on this post if you have ideas to share... 

We want to continue offering assistance to the people who are struggling with malware, so please help us to do that...  :think:

Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#2 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,476 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

One idea I can think of that would be useful would be a forum on smartphone security. The problem would be how to staff that, I don't know that anyone would feel qualified to give advice in a smartphone forum. So that idea may be a bust.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#3 Blair

Blair

GeeksToGo

• Ambassador
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:54 PM

A surefire, but controversial way would be to buy back the original domain (spywareinfo.com): http://www.perfectna...spywareinfo.com

I entered a bid of $1,000, and it said a previous bid for that amount had been rejected. Submitted a bid for $1,500 and it sent an email asking for confirmation.

For those who are unfamiliar, Mike let spywareinfo.com expire and GoDaddy sold it at auction for ~$14K. Apparently the new owner has recouped their investment, or is cutting their losses. A $1,500 bid may well be rejected too, but it offers a ballpark figure. Start a discussion with the owner. Maybe they want to see it come back here? Perhaps there could be a fundraiser?

Why would it help? Well despite the name change years ago, and pleas asking for people to change their links, there are still about 6X as many links to spywareinfo.com as there are to spywareinfoforum.com.

Just a thought.

Edited by Blair, 21 August 2014 - 01:56 PM.

#4 varinder1

varinder1

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:44 AM

If users websites are promoted and users saw the quality forum topics there. So, naturaaly increasing the traffic on forum websites and all are happy to involve in the website related discussion, also getting and share the knowledge.

#5 rjh58

rjh58

exe2bin

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:13 PM

"One idea I can think of that would be useful would be a forum on smartphone security. The problem would be how to staff that, I don't know that anyone would feel qualified to give advice in a smartphone forum. So that idea may be a bust."

Sorry for such a late post, at least for this topic.

I have to second Joker's idea that a SmartPhone forum might be a great draw. Tools, tool dev, and diagnostic techniques as well as the regular forum stuff would be excellent!

Let's learn about that stuff and start moving in that direction. I think it might keep us all excited.

JMHO

Cheers!

Edited by rjh58, 17 January 2015 - 06:13 PM.

486F 6C69 6E65 7373 2074 6F20 7468 6520 4C6F 7264

#6 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The Magician

• Trusted Advisor*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:41 PM

I think smartphone security is a good idea. Perhaps a couple of helpers could learn a bit about how to deal with malware on phones and then they could run that section?

Another option is to spark up the Facebook page a little. What if you were to have a weekly piece of interesting news, a helpful hint, a piece of info about a new threat, etc? Of course we need to get more users to join up to the page as well so its a cyclic issue, but it could help keep the forum in the edges of social media.

I suppose the issue with lots and lots of antimalware fighting forums is a big one. Perhaps we could approach some of the smaller ones and get them to merge with us? Rather than have lots of small forums you could join them into SWI and have a much bigger forum? Might bring a few issues that management would need to sort out, but you could focus the traffic on SWI and keep it away from small forums that will probably die anyway.

I will give it a think and see what else I can come up with. :)

If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal...you become something else entirely. A legend, Mr. Wayne, a legend!

If I have helped you please consider donating to help keep this forum running; see this topic for more details.

unite_zpse83e3a16.gif

#7 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The Magician

• Trusted Advisor*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:00 PM

Something else I thought of. Although not sure how feasible this is. But places like Bleeping Computer have a tonne of logs and often users have to wait for a few days to get their problem(s) addressed. What if you set up a system with BC where some of those users are shifted across to here? Maybe recreating the account will have to be done by the user themselves (which could be a little bit of a put off) but BC could post and tell them to come here and provide them with a link to here etc? Would increase the forum traffic and would also lighten the loads on other forums. Again not exactly sure how this would work and I suppose this may have been considered at some time in the past?

If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal...you become something else entirely. A legend, Mr. Wayne, a legend!

If I have helped you please consider donating to help keep this forum running; see this topic for more details.

unite_zpse83e3a16.gif

#8 ArmyOfDarkness

ArmyOfDarkness

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:02 AM

Perhaps a software giveaway, you guys work with security software, what better place to promote it than here? Contact a well known security vendor and ask them for a few keys to giveaway, then when a person want to join the giveaway have them tweet it and put up a post on their facebook. This wil draw in people who will just sign up for the giveaway, but it will also draw in people who will stay. If you think about it, people usually have at least one hundred facebook friends. Also this from FB

https://www.facebook.com/businessyou know people are addicted to FB......

#9 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,530 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:12 AM

We apparently have a Facebook presence, but we are also apparently limited in establishing business relationships without changing the type of organization that we are...  At one point, cnm looked at setting something up with MalwareBytes, but we were unable to do so because of the nature of our forum...  Converting to a forum that can make those types of business relationships would apparently be expensive and possibly deplete what funds we have available at the moment...  Many of us are reluctant to become more commercial as well...

Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#10 ArmyOfDarkness

ArmyOfDarkness

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:30 AM

Another thing would be malware removal guides for specific infections, that would draw in people from google searches.

#11 ArmyOfDarkness

ArmyOfDarkness

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:19 PM

Social login has proven to improve registration conversion rates by at least 50%. You may check this out, broke the link for you.

hxxp://janrain.com/product/social-login/

#12 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,530 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:28 PM

We still get large numbers of people visiting the forum to do searches and get information...  What we are looking for is people to use the site and interact, particularly in regard to malware issues...  I am not sure that this type of company would enhance that goal and it looks like it would cost money...  Our funds are quite limited, so adding in something like that would be a problem...

Budfred

#13 ArmyOfDarkness

ArmyOfDarkness

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:10 PM

Ok, I will continue to check around. :)

#14 Drabdr

Drabdr

SWI Junkie

• Helper Trainee+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:15 PM

I know that Google Search Engine Optimization and subsequent algorithms have affected many boards similar to this; and not for the better.

Has anyone observed any changing patterns with how this site fares in Google search returns?

Life is too short to remove the USB safely.

#15 ArmyOfDarkness

ArmyOfDarkness

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:34 PM

Since Security Check is such a widely used tool, why not host it here and provide a download link in the output of the tool, FRST does the same thing, imagine how much traffic they get from just that tool alone, since it is most forums policy to copy and paste logs. Simply put a link to the download in the output of security check, and mention that it is best to download from the source, so that you have an updated version.

I think that will drive up traffic a great deal to the site, and when people see what great work is done here.....

Edited by ArmyOfDarkness, 19 March 2015 - 12:35 PM.

#16 OrderUp1

OrderUp1

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:16 AM

I signed up to your forum due to a few reasons:  1.  I see you are turning out some TRAINED advisors and help, not just 'back yard mechanics...'.

2.  I would not request smaller malware sites to 'join forces', I have seen plenty out there that are full of gossip, small idle chat, negativity,  bickering and back stabbing!  You don't need it:  maintain a friendly, friendly happy site!  In my opinion:  the sites that are busy are the sites that have what seems to be a ??  paid?? welcoming crew.  I do not know if any are actually paid, but they are people who absolutely say 'hello!  to a new member on the spot!  24/7!

I do not know if those varied and inconvenient sometimes HOURS will work for your site, but many people, like me, are clocked to be awake in the night, and sleeping in the day- at various hours.  I usually sleep at 3:00-4:00 AM, and start my day at 10:30 AM with my first POT of coffee!

3.  Personally, i would not put up this article...

Ideas for increasing Forum utilization where it can be seem by the public.

Now, if I can just get back to normal font and size...

4.  I have seen tons and tons of beginners going to forums, raw, unable to add 2+2, and with knowledge stated as beginner, or basic, or as starting out...   I have noticed this, because I am one!  I always look to see what somebody's ability level is!  It tells me that ..maybe I can get advice there, or we are 'brothers and sisters' in ..."duh-dumb' -'How do I get that screenshot?' or you want me to do ...'what?'  How do I do that? You want me to save that log to ..desktop?  How do I do that?"

I see some that are just barely advanced beyond me, who know how to do that and maybe a little more, but don't know how to protect themselves online and dont know that programs can conflict!

5.  I have seen great forums, and some may be graduates of your schooling, that put up exact directions, with screenshots, and suggestions like:  if you get lost, just let me know before you do anything, and I will help walk you through it!  That is the site I'll use.  So, to final suggestions:   

6.  a.  A Seniors Computing Skills School.com   b. A First Steps Computing School. com c.  A Computer Clicking Safety abc. com

dbitz+malware.com appears to be an unclaimed .com domain

You have highly skilled people here.  I wish I had 1/16 your knowledge and ability, but I am starting at 63!  To date, just turned on the computer, and turned it off.  Little time for more.  Took it in if sick, got it back, turned it on and off. Trying to learn basic safety, to help prevent infections, as 'worms' aren't the worry out there any more!  Krpto and/or Crypto or bank thiefs and credit cards and hackers getting into Anthem and hackers getting into Social Security and knowing my computer was used to be a part of something sinister...what's it called...? you know, where your router is used to overwhelm another's site by too much traffic?  I know my computer was a part of that, so I turned it off entirely, unplugged it.

If you can draw learners, make it pleasant, fun, friendly, friendly, friendly, you will, unfortunately have many 'beginner trainees'  to deal with for awhile, but then, they will be HOME!  I have grand children who don't know, that aren't included with a computer at their house, that have no idea except a tiny bit that they get at school once a week, that I would send here, if it was available to them to learn, in a '10-12' year old 'class'.  Do this, then go play ...mine sweepers for 1 hour... then come back and I'll be here for your next class!  As administrator, I will send you a PM or email in one hour, and if you don't get back here, 1/2 hr. of mine sweeper next time.   I don't know- but all worth talking about between yourselves.  But, I wouldn't  (personally) do it here, in pulbic!  People are drawn to action!  Not snoring or ..help..or what are we going to do... Sorry, it is just a psychological truth.

Have fun!  OrderUp!

#17 jman005

jman005

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:40 PM

Maybe Linux should have its own forum. I also agree that smartphone security would be a good idea, I was even thinking of starting my own forum in the near future mainly focusing on that. The MBAM forum also happens to have smartphone security as well.

#18 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,530 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:54 AM

Maybe Linux should have its own forum. I also agree that smartphone security would be a good idea, I was even thinking of starting my own forum in the near future mainly focusing on that. The MBAM forum also happens to have smartphone security as well.

We recently opened a smartphone forum and it is not getting any attention...

Budfred

#19 jman005

jman005

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:33 AM

Didn't notice that yet. Currently I don't think there's too many advanced tools for removing Android malware but it could become a bigger thing in the future. I'm thinking about joining the Smartphone Troubleshooting forum staff after I complete Boot Camp.

Edited by jman005, 03 April 2015 - 11:35 AM.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button