Keyboard malfunctioning

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shibboleth

Shibboleth

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:53 PM

I'm not sure what's causing this (and it's not happening right now), but sometimes when I'm typing on my keyboard spaces seem to be inserted when I've typed letters---for example, if it were happening now, what I just typed might look like this "I'm not sure w  t's c   ing this" etc.

What could be cause this periodic malfunction?

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?

Is it some kind of virus or malware?

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,468 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:25 AM

If it is connected by wire, it is most likely a faulty keyboard...  Typically it is simplest to replace it since it would cost more to repair than to buy a new one...  You can also check to make sure the board is blown out and clean...  Sticking keys might cause some of that problem...

If it is wireless, there are a number of things that can cause a problem - cell phones are one of the most common problems...  Pay attention to where cell phones are when you have a problem and see if moving them will make a difference...  Also pay attention to any other devices that use radio waves...  Also, check the location of any transmitter to your keyboard...

Another option is that your computer could be infected, but that is an odd way for malware to show itself, so it is more likely to be a device issue... 

Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 Shibboleth

Shibboleth

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:56 AM

B t w y A re spaces inserted where letters should be, and how c   d sticking keys cause that?

Edited by Shibboleth, 27 August 2014 - 03:01 AM.

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,468 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:22 AM

Those parts of the key switches could be dead and that means you need a new keyboard...  Those keys could be dirty under the keypad and that could make it seem like you are pressing the key, but it won't type...  If it is intermittent, it could be related to temperature or humidity causing a problem with the signal produced when you press a key...  And again, it could be related to wireless signals if it is a wireless keyboard...  And yes, it could even be a malware issue...

If you want more specific ideas, please post more details about the type of keyboard, how long the problem has been present and any other information that might help to diagnosis the issue sight unseen...  At this point, I don't even know if you are talking about a keyboard in a laptop, a wireless keyboard or an antique IBM keyboard with an old style keyboard connector...  Without details, I can only speculate about possibilities...  If you have any other symptoms that might suggest malware, please read the Instructions and post a topic in Malware Removal...

Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#5 Shibboleth

Shibboleth

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:04 AM

Those parts of the key switches could be dead and that means you need a new keyboard...  Those keys could be dirty under the keypad and that could make it seem like you are pressing the key, but it won't type...  If it is intermittent, it could be related to temperature or humidity causing a problem with the signal produced when you press a key...  And again, it could be related to wireless signals if it is a wireless keyboard...  And yes, it could even be a malware issue...

If you want more specific ideas, please post more details about the type of keyboard, how long the problem has been present and any other information that might help to diagnosis the issue sight unseen...  At this point, I don't even know if you are talking about a keyboard in a laptop, a wireless keyboard or an antique IBM keyboard with an old style keyboard connector...  Without details, I can only speculate about possibilities...  If you have any other symptoms that might suggest malware, please read the Instructions and post a topic in Malware Removal...

Thank you.

I have a Dell keyboard, and it's not wireless (and it's connected to a PC.)

>>>Those keys could be dirty under the keypad and that could make it seem like you are pressing the key, but it won't type<<<

But than there wouldn't be any blank spaces between the letters, would there?

And it wouldn't be intermittent, would it?

#6 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,468 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:51 AM

It could easily be intermittent, but it would not likely leave blank spaces...  If the problem is dirt, it is possible that the degree of pressure exerted as you type would determine whether or not the key worked on that occasion...  The blank spaces suggest that the keyboard is failing and needs to be replaced...  If you don't have another keyboard you can try to see if it works better, it may be worthwhile to borrow one...  A brand new wired keyboard can be found for under $10 and a used one might be available for free, depending on where you are and what you have access to...  Example: http://www.newegg.co...red&Order=PRICE

It is unlikely to be due to malware, but if a substitute keyboard produces the same effect, it would be a good idea to post logs in Malware Removal to get that checked...  You still haven't indicated how old it is or any other details, so I can only give you options for checking it out or replacing it...  If you want more ideas, post more information... 

Budfred

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button