7 replies to this topic

#1 psychicguy

psychicguy

Advanced Member

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:32 AM

I found a software that seems to be a good solution to patch vulnerabilities called SecPod.

Here is a link to the software, it is free and it does a scan on your computer after updating its definition to see if any of the software on your computer have a current vulnerability that you can patch.  It will automatically update the software if it finds vulnerabilities.

Try it out :D : http://www.secpod.co...r-personal.html

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,466 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:13 PM

Please be extremely cautious about downloading a program like this until it has been thoroughly tested to make sure that it is not a trojan or some other type of scam...  There are a number of very legitimate looking "free" programs which will find all sorts of problems on your computer and "fix" them for a "small" fee...  In fact, they may not only not fix the supposed problems (which are usually not real), but they may also install malware as they run...  On the Internet, the saying: "don't judge a book by its cover" is more true than it ever was with paper books...  Have you tested this program and, if so, are you sure that it is legit??

Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 psychicguy

psychicguy

Advanced Member

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:32 PM

Please be extremely cautious about downloading a program like this until it has been thoroughly tested to make sure that it is not a trojan or some other type of scam...  There are a number of very legitimate looking "free" programs which will find all sorts of problems on your computer and "fix" them for a "small" fee...  In fact, they may not only not fix the supposed problems (which are usually not real), but they may also install malware as they run...  On the Internet, the saying: "don't judge a book by its cover" is more true than it ever was with paper books...  Have you tested this program and, if so, are you sure that it is legit??

I haven't tested it since I don't have the tools to analyze it, nor the knowledge to test it.  Perhaps someone can on this forum to make sure its doing what it claims to do? If you want I can edit the post until someone tests it.  All I know is that when it scanned for vulnerabilities in my computer, it actually had me install things like adobe flash updates and windows update would run after wards from the software's fixes.  I still though, can't vouch that it is safe.

Either way, you have good advice Budfred, and I respect you for letting me know. :-)

Edited by psychicguy, 12 September 2014 - 10:34 PM.

#4 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,462 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:59 AM

I think that's a very new site, it had not yet been scanned by Kaspersky URL Advisor.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#5 psychicguy

psychicguy

Advanced Member

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 03:21 PM

Can anyone provide me a guide that in detail would teach me how to test a new software or website such as this one so I can make sure next time? :blush2:

Oh, and I did end up scanning with http://www.virustotal.com/ on the URL online scanner and I came up with 0/58 results on the website for secpod. Then I scanned the download file for installing the SecPod Personal Software.

Here are my the results of VirusTotal.com for SecPod URL :

https://www.virustot...sis/1410646495/

Here are my results for virusscan.jotti.org for SecPod Personal Software Installer:

http://virusscan.jot...dd37337c033ce0c

I did notice that on the VirusScan.Jotti.org Scanner, told me that Clam AV found PUA.Win32.Packer.PrivateExeProte-7...I have no clue if it's just a false positive though..

Let me know what you guys think of this scan and the site for if you think its malicious or not. :think:

Edited by psychicguy, 13 September 2014 - 04:22 PM.

#6 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,462 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:26 PM

I would be skeptical of any result from ClamAV, which has one of the lower detection rates in reviews.

Just because an antivirus scanner doesn't find something wrong doesn't mean it's a good product. A bad product can get lots of advertising by affiliates, not be detected by scanner, and still cause system problems, simply because it's not a good product. Some of the "fix everything" programs out there that will scan your system and detect and "correct" many problems have been found to detect numerous problems in an absolutely clean Windows install.

Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

#7 psychicguy

psychicguy

Advanced Member

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:45 PM

I would be skeptical of any result from ClamAV, which has one of the lower detection rates in reviews.

Just because an antivirus scanner doesn't find something wrong doesn't mean it's a good product. A bad product can get lots of advertising by affiliates, not be detected by scanner, and still cause system problems, simply because it's not a good product. Some of the "fix everything" programs out there that will scan your system and detect and "correct" many problems have been found to detect numerous problems in an absolutely clean Windows install.

Let me say I agree with you completely.  The only thing I am a bit curious in is if a legitimate vulnerability scanner scanned a clean version of windows then wouldn't it detect vulnerabilities if that clean version of windows didn't do a windows update to patch the vulnerabilities?

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about software that is disguised as Malware and software that is actually legit.

Edited by psychicguy, 14 September 2014 - 02:46 PM.

#8 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,462 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:17 AM

If secpod actually does what it claims to do, it would seem to be a combination of a program updater such as Secunia Personal Software Inspector, and a vulnerability checker like Kaspersky Security Scan (which reports but doesn't fix anything - you need to do that manually). I don' know of any scanner that will install Windows updates other than Microsoft's Windows Update. Most programs like that that tell you you have hundreds of errors and offer to fix with a paid version are only looking at Registry errors, and for many of the programs sold through affiliate advertising, most are useless at best, and I wouldn't recommend any Registry editor. The minimal gain that you might get is not worth the damage that could be done to the system.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button