Photo

Suspicious remote view attempt from tech support at Lavasoft?

remote view

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 psychicguy

psychicguy

Advanced Member

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:31 PM

Hey everyone,

I had purchased Lavasoft about a month ago and I am wondering if anyone's had similar experiences with their tech support agency like I've had today...

I talked to one of their tech support agents on the phone and when I asked a refund he said well why do you want one?  I simply said that I wanted to use another anti-virus and he started to seem angry or offended at what I said.

He then suggested to try the product for 30 days at least before asking for a refund... I declined his offer and said I just want a refund please.

Then he said the most suspicious thing I've ever heard a tech support agent ask me on the phone, which was, "Okay, to process your refund I'm going to need to setup a remote access connection to your computer to make sure you have none of our software installed on your PC".

I said....."What?  That sounds REALLY suspicious to me because out of all the anti-virus companies I've ever bought from, you are the first to ask me for this for me to get my refund." 

So basically I was told I got my refund, but I'm still not sure if it's common at all for a company to have to "Remote View your Computer" to get a refund.

Has anyone had a similar experience to mine?

Thanks.

Edited by psychicguy, 25 September 2014 - 08:32 PM.

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:47 PM

For most antivirus, the fact that you no longer get updates renders the software essentially worthless and they don't care if you have it on your PC.

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,499 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:53 PM

It sounds like the person you spoke with was trying to intimidate you into continuing to use the program...  Lavasoft has had some issues with the security community in the last few years because of partnerships with dubious companies...  I no longer recommend them and urge other people to consider carefully before recommending them...  Programs/companies change and it is a good idea to keep up with the changes if you are advising others on what to use... 

Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#4 Lavasoft Support

Lavasoft Support

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:30 PM

Hello Everyone

I represent the investigation department of Lavasoft.

We apologize for any inconvenience or bad experience you had with our phone support agent.

We hope that this disagreement will not affect your general opinion of our product.

We would like to investigate on this case and kindly ask you to provide us with any relevant information that can help us to identify the agent with this attitude.

We would like to re-assure you that our customer support will take all the necessary measures to improve the service and exclude any similar issue.

Please do not hesitate to communicate us more details about your order (order ID or email address) to be refunded.

We'll do the necessary to satisfy your request as soon as possible.

Do not hesitate to communicate any relevant information to our email :  sales@lavasoft.com

Feel free to respond with any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Ben

Lavasoft Support

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button