Removing spyware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kauaigirl

Kauaigirl

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:35 PM

Hi. I'm sorry in advance, I know nothing about this stuff. I have a stalker that I believe has planted spyware in my cell phone. If I take my phone to my carrier and have them restore it to factory settings, is that enough to remove or disable it? Thank you so much.

#2 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,432 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:25 AM

I assume this is an Android based phone. Yes, having the carrier reset the phone back to factory settings should wipe out anything that had been installed on it, and it would be safest to have them do that as if you tried and had an error resetting, there's always the possibility that they may balk at providing service after that. That will remove all software you downloaded and user settings, so you will need to set up your e-mail again. I would recommend that if you are using web based e-mail, such as GMail or Yahoo Mail, that you should change your password and make sure you add the additional information to your account for account recovery (such as your mobile phone number or secondary e-mail address). After reset, before you download anything else, or before you use the browser, you should download and install security and antivirus software such as avast! Mobile Security & Antivirus (for Android) (free) or Bitdefender Mobile Security and Antivirus 2.8 (for Android) (free). Just like on a PC, you should only install one antivirus and security software program, and it should only be downloaded through Google Play on the phone (don't download on a PC and transfer to the phone). Remember to set the phone up to use a password, and make sure it's a secure random password, don't use a password that someone that knows you might be able to guess.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#3 123andrew

123andrew

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:13 AM

If you have spyware on your device then i will definitely suggest to remove it as soon as possible and if you want to go to factory settings and then restore everything again then this can help to remove the threat. But after all things are done make sure to change your passwords of every account that was installed before. 

It is always good to follow preventive measures to avoid such threats. Such as

1. Don't click on links that are unknown.

2. Don't open emails from unexpected sender.

3. Think twice before visiting some unknown sites.

4. Download software from legitimate sites.

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button