• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 The Mighty Quinn

The Mighty Quinn

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:30 PM

Hey all!

This is a pretty dumb question, but, if a legit program is bundled with malware/adware will the bad stuff install anyway, if I decline it? Like, if I install the legit program, and unclick the options to install the malware, and decline it; does it still install?

Sorry if this is jumbled...I know it isn't very clear. I started new meds the other day & have a serious case of brain mush.

Thanks for reading :)

#2 Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,424 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:40 PM

The question is a valid one and the answer is: your guess is as good as mine...  If the program allows the option to not install, it is less likely that it is malware and more likely to just be junkware...  If it is really malware, it usually doesn't ask for your permission to install...  If it is truly adware and is from a company that is invested in keeping a good reputation, it will probably not install when you opt out...  Ultimately, it is very difficult to know...  If the legit program you are installing is a truly legit program, it is unlikely that they would allow something to install if the user opts out, so that is probably the best guide...  If you get the legit program from a dubious site, all bets are off...

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,395 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 05:13 AM

I would read this topic about safe download sites and how some others bundle potentially unwanted programs (PUPs).

Safe software download sites - Beware of deceptive download links & PUPs

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#4 The Mighty Quinn

The Mighty Quinn

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:11 PM

Wow awesome answers! Thanks a lot, guys. Much appreciated.  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bundled, Adware, Malware

Member of

Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!