• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 spyz1

spyz1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:24 AM

W7 user. I continue to receive updates from MS. I have switched off 'check for updates for your computer'. I am aware that some updates are security necessary. However, some updates have caused my computer to virtually die and are immensely difficult to repair. hence the drastic action. But, all to no avail. The updates continue. Some are labelled critical. I can see that windows 10 has deliberately disabled turning off options of updates and I am wondering if this has also been applied to W7 by administrative 'mistake'?

Any ideas how to prevent these forced updates despite locking check for updates off?

Edited by spyz1, 21 April 2016 - 11:25 AM.

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,460 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:57 PM

I do not recommend turning off "check for updates" as long as you retain the option to choose which ones to install...  If you follow the update topics by AplusWebMaster, you can get a pretty good idea of which ones are okay to install and which to be careful about...  I have taken to checking online to see what is being reported about updates before installing them recently because of Windows pushing the Win10 upgrade...  There have been a few others that are also dubious and I have withheld installing them as well...  I have a Win7 system and I would not leave it unprotected by not installing the updates that seem to be safe to use...  As far as I can tell, I have had NO updates forced on me...  If you are getting some in spite of your settings, something is probably wrong and I would start by checking your settings again to make sure you have it set the way you want it...  What is the actual setting you are using??

Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 spyz1

spyz1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for reply Budfred. Yes, I also was reluctant to turn off updates and originally had settings on check updates and let me choose down load and intall etc. However, when it became clear  that MS were disregarding these choices, I switched to  'never check for updates'  which is the setting it is currently on. Now even that does not stop them. I understand it would be better to have an option to choose only those updates that are trustworthy but how if MS are effectively taking that choice away? There are numerous online reports of updates 'breaking through' and destroying computer settings. It has been often so bad I have had to resort to using restore point. Alas, often the updates also throw my chosen restore point off the list of restore list.   Many contributors to this problem have given up and switch over to the far more stable Linux which would seem a sensible option as I cannot face resetting all my settings again.

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,460 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:34 PM

I have heard of one or two forced updates and those were stable...  If you have Win7 check for updates and then check before installing them, I think you will be safe...  Certainly Linux is a good option as well, if you are able to manage the interface...  I have had more difficulty with Win10 updates breaking things and you can't even stop them... 

Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button