• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rl153

rl153

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

Hi, I want to ask if there is anything I can do to improve the performance of my PC .I have firefox which seems to freeze all the time. I don't have any viruses. I have spyware blaster , malware bytes and avast which I run frequently , and nothing is detected.I have only 1 gig of Ram. I have removed most superfluous programs from startup.My computer is 12 years old, is it just obsolete, or is there a way to run better short of formatting it? Thanks!

I have moved your topic to a more appropriate forum - PC Checkup and Troubleshooting - where you will receive help with this issue. Thank you.

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,529 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:54 PM

I may be able to help if there are really no malware issues interfering - if there are, I will back away and let someone else help...

You haven't identified what OS you are using or other information about the computer that might help - so please do that in a Reply...  The first thought I have is to increase your RAM and possibly see if there is faster RAM available for your mainboard... The second thing is to look at your hard drive - if you do not have an SSD, that is one way to at least increase boot time and opening programs...  How often do you reboot the machine??  Sometimes Firefox will run better after a reboot... Also, do you clear the history/cache/cookies and so on in Firefox regularly??  If not, you can set it to clear those things each time you close it...  You could try a fresh install of Chrome and see if it ran significantly faster...  When Firefox freezes, does it eventually start again??

You said you run MBAM and Avast frequently - do either of them provide real time protection??

Ultimately the problem may simply be that the computer is old and your expectations are affected by experience with newer computers...  I have just be tinkering with a netbook that was running WinXP and it seemed incredibly slow after what I am used to...  When I work on a computer that is 12 years old, it usually feels like it is crawling even though I know that it is blazing compared to the computers I used in the 80s... 

Please provide details about what OS you are using, hard drive sizes, type of drives and anything else that might be involved in the speed of your system...  Also, what is the speed of your Internet connection - if it is not fast enough, it can cause Firefox freezes...

Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 rl153

rl153

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:03 AM

Ive been working on my computer all day , and found the disk was badly in need of defragmentation.I ran that ,and now seems much better. I was thinking of adding ram. Also I downloaded an older version of opera, and that seems to run good.Thanks , I think Im ok for now. xp

Edited by rl153, 26 March 2017 - 01:38 PM.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button