MalwareBytes Hitman Pro Hitman Pro Alert

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 QT Pro

QT Pro

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:42 AM

I have HitmanPro Alert combined with HitmanPro installed on my PC. Can I run MalwareBytes also or will the 2 conflict?
I'm asking this because after scanning with both they each found malware that the other didn't.

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:48 PM

It is never a good idea to run two malware protection programs of the same type in resident mode at the same time...  That said, I run Windows Defender as my primary resident program and periodically will run a free scan from MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) to check for problems...  As long as MBAM is not installed in resident mode, it is not a problem to run it as needed...  That may not always be true since some programs are more aggressive in identifying competing anti-malware programs as bad, but I would not run one of those programs... 

Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 QT Pro

QT Pro

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:34 AM

Thanks for the clarification Budfred. I have always had Windows Defender disabled in favor of 3rd party anti-spy/malware offerings but on reflection I may be making a serious error as I remember Windows Defender was purchased from Giant Software by MS and renamed. When it belonged to Giant it was known to be the most potent program of its type, easily outperforming SpywareBlaster and Spybot S&D. If MS bought the development team as well then Defender should rank amongst the best and that's if it doesn't still hold the crown.

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:14 AM

Defender seems to be an adequate anti-malware program at this point and for the last few years...  The main advantage that it has is that it is free and doesn't have nag screens to tell you to renew or buy it...  However, I learned a long time ago that no anti-malware program protects against everything and the ratings a particular program might get are based on various biases which may not always be evident...  If you go to look for the best, you will get one article endorsing one program, another endorsing a second program and so on until almost every possible program gets endorsed by someone, even if it is really only by the people who make/market the program...  That is a big part of the reason that I settled on using Defender and supplementing with scans as needed from other programs...  If Defender became unworkable for some reason, I would probably go with the paid version of MBAM since I know and trust many of the people who created it (including some who trained here)...

The most important point for your original question is that it is important to run only one anti-malware program in resident mode, but that others can be used for occasional scans... 

Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of

Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!